Your essential resource for examining how the bauxite and alumina industries will evolve through to 2040
Global alumina capacity is forecast to grow by 29.6% over the next ten years, reaching 179.6M tonnes by 2024. Metallurgical grade alumina capacity expansion, primarily in China, will be the main driver for this growth.
China's net alumina investment requirement is expected to peak in 2025 at 10M tpy, while the world ex. China is forecast to require 15M tpy of net new alumina capacity over the period to 2040.
The emergence of Malaysia as a strong bauxite supplier has delayed but not eradicated the need for new bauxite supply. CRU forecasts that the trihydrate bauxite market will once again return to deficit once Malaysian reserves are depleted.
As the Indonesian unprocessed minerals export ban is forecast to remain in place, bauxite projects in various parts of South East Asia, Australia and the Atlantic (particularly western Africa) have to be developed to supply global alumina capacity growth in China, the Middle East and India.
In this report, CRU outlines the opportunities and risks facing the bauxite and alumina industries. The Bauxite and Alumina Long Term Market Outlook considers the growing gap between demand and supply which develops over the next 25 years, and offers a view as to the likelihood of hundreds of bauxite and alumina projects to come on stream.
The analysis considers these projects in the context of geopolitical, socio-environmental and economic viability - and highlights the risks and opportunities associated with aluminium raw material supply in the long term.
CRU's Bauxite and Alumina Long Term Market Outlook provides you with detailed forecasts of demand, supply and prices to 2040, to allow the reader a head start on the hot topics of the future.
Why should you use CRU for bauxite and alumina market analysis?
- CRU has an established and independent understanding of the bauxite and alumina industries, based on more than 40 years' experience covering these commodities globally.
- Our bauxite and alumina coverage is enhanced by CRU's detailed understanding and research across the entire aluminium value chain, and our cost analysis throughout the industry. Our holistic yet detailed understanding of the aluminium industry ensures that you benefit from robust and comprehensive analysis.
- CRU's offices in Beijing, Mumbai and Sydney provide first-hand presence in these vitally important markets, allowing us to build personal relationships with the major market participants there. CRU is committed to primary research worldwide.
- Over the past five years, CRU has visited and established relationships with almost every integrated alumina refinery in China. The knowledge and contacts gathered during these visits ensures that we can provide you with a valuable insight and data for operations across China.
- CRU understands both Malaysia and Indonesia. We have visited Indonesia before and after the unprocessed minerals export ban was put in place. We have also made multiple visits to Malaysia since the beginning of 2015, establishing a network of contacts on the ground, which keeps our analysts up-to-date on key developments.