Analyst - Base MetalsLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 26 April 2022
Our Base Metals team is seeking a talented and motivated Analyst with a strong quantitative background to take responsibility for leading CRU’s chrome and ferrochrome analysis and set CRU’s global view for demand and production.
The Analyst will be the main editor of the Chrome Monitor, Ferrochrome Market Outlook and Ferrochrome Costs services, and therefore the ability to create high quality reports that are clear and engaging, whilst working to tight deadlines will be important. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement and will provide the opportunity to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team.
There is no requirement for previous commodity exposure, although the successful candidate will have proven experience of creating high-quality, insightful analysis coupled with the ability to build and maintain client relationships. You must be able to demonstrate commercial awareness to assist in delivering growth in future revenue and profits.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK.
As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Take responsibility for all chrome and ferrochrome data - historical and forecast – setting CRU’s global view for demand and production. This includes additional data sets relating to ferrochrome smelter costs.
- Seek continuous improvement to existing data flows and be comfortable implementing new models where required.
- Continue to develop a deeper understanding of the chrome and ferrochrome industry, leveraging existing market contacts and through the generation of new contacts.
- Collect and maintain information on projects/producers in order to improve existing databases
- Main editor of the Chrome Monitor, Ferrochrome Market Outlook and Ferrochrome Costs services
- Write high quality reports that are clear and engaging and in keeping with CRU’s standards and formats.
- Prepare high-impact presentations and dashboards summarising market developments.
- Write timely Insights and Special Features covering developments in the metallic W&C industry
- Conduct and participate in customer meetings and speak at seminars and conferences globally. This also includes wider SRM and Base Metal team webinars.
- Develop relationships with existing and potential chrome/ferrochrome clients for knowledge sharing and to form an up-to-the minute understanding of their information priorities.
- Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on chrome/ferrochrome market developments.
- Provide demos for the chrome/ferrochrome services to help secure sales to new customers alongside identifying new leads.
- Develop strong relationships with existing customers to ensure high renewal rates for the chrome/ferrochrome services.
- Collaborate with SRM team members and other CRU analysts and consultants for learning and sharing best practice.
- Take part and contribute in SRM weekly and monthly team meetings
About you - What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders, whether that be over the phone, in Client meetings, or presenting at Conferences. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills, as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint