Head of Base Metals - Costs & Emissions
Posted 31 May 2022
We are looking for a talented, highly motivated individual to take on the role Head of Base Metals – Costs & Emissions. This key position requires a person with an in-depth understanding of mining costs; strong leadership and client facing skills; and commercial aptitude. The job involves leading a team of analysts to produce accurate and consistent estimates and forecasts of costs and emissions by mine and project. These are required to facilitate in-depth analysis of the cost structure of the base metals industry; the key cost drivers; global competitiveness; the impact of costs on prices; and developments in decarbonisation. The role is customer focussed and requires the person to promote CRU’s analysis externally. It will also require a person with the ability to improve and develop the team’s analytical tools, work processes, and models.
We are looking for an individual that has a good understanding of the metals and mining industry, with the ability to quickly grasp the key technical aspects of base metal mining and processing, whilst being able to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend one’s position clearly. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data management and modelling will be highly beneficial in this role, as will the desire and experience of managing and developing a team of direct reports.
Reporting into the Director of Base Metals, the individual will have 5 key focus areas as the Head of Base Metals – Demand and Markets:
- Management and Leadership – leading and developing a team of analysts based in our global offices, organising the team’s work and programme of customer interaction, webinars and conferences
- Data Analysis Research and Modelling – collecting and forecasting production and cost for data for mines and projects, as well as conducting analysis in short and long run marginal costs; operational competitiveness; industry cost structure; asset valuation and how costs influence metal prices at different stages in the economic cycle.
- Customer Deliverables – providing high-quality data for CRU’s costs and emissions tools, as well as producing high-quality presentations. Compiling clear, engaging and high-quality insights covering mine cost themes, corporate developments, ESG issues and other relevant topics
- Marketing and Commercial Requirements - be the external lead for the Team, initiating customer discussions, giving presentations, and marketing the team’s output, working closely with CRU’s Sales and Marketing teams, to support renewals and the generation of new business. It is essential you are able to take a leading role in customer meetings, webinars, and conferences alongside subject editors as well as secure and deliver keynote presentations at international conferences
- Methodologies and Product Development - partner with the Research Director and Director of Base Metals to agree and implement short- and long-term improvements to our methodologies, systems, and models
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Leadership skills: The ability to coach, inspire, influence, and develop team members
- Project management: The expertise to lead projects effectively, demonstrating strong communication, problem-solving and time management skills
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team.
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK.
- IT Skills: Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
CRU operates on a global basis so the jobholder must expect to communicate across offices and time zones. Some international business travel, as well as local travel, will also be required.
We are open to receiving applications for candidates across our global offices, however, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship so you will need to have the right to work in the location you are applying.Apply for this role here