Analyst - Aluminium Raw MaterialsBeijing, China
Posted 29 July 2021
Please note – As well as China, we will also consider suitable candidates that would like to be based in London.
Our Aluminium team have an exciting role they are currently recruiting for. They are seeking a talented, and highly motivated Analyst to be responsible for analysis within the Aluminium Raw Materials sector, especially in the carbon products area, but also in bauxite and alumina, and focussing, although not exclusively, in the Chinese markets. This is a highly important area of analysis within the aluminium team, contributing to several of our core product offerings. This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, motivated Analyst with a good knowledge of global commodity markets and a sound understanding of economic principles.
The successful individual will need to be fluent in Mandarin, with strong English language skills, both written and verbal. Having an analytical mind-set with the ability to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the data that drive our business and strategy, will be key to the success of this role. The Analyst will need to be comfortable and confident when speaking with market participants and price providers, and demonstrate diligence in workflow processes for price discovery, price reporting and dataset handling.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Qualifications will ideally be in Economics or another numerate discipline. The role will also require a level of international travel (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
- Develop a deep market understanding of the Chinese aluminium raw materials market, including the carbon products value chain that impacts the aluminium industry, but also gaining a broader knowledge and understanding of the global markets
- Provide deep dive analysis of these markets for our market reports including high quality price assessments of our key benchmark prices across carbon products, bauxite, and alumina markets across the value chain
- Take editorial responsibility in key areas of our carbon products market work
- Maintenance of CRU’s databases on the raw materials markets, and CRU’s supply platforms and databases across the whole of the aluminium value chain
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Proven working experience in the mining and metals and/or energy industry
- Strong background in maths and/or economics or engineering or journalism
- Strong quantitative background and a creative thinker based on a robust approach to data/modelling
- Knowledge of the oil industry is not essential, but may be beneficial in understanding carbon product markets for aluminium smelting
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy; able to operate efficiently, effectively, and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven business environment
- Approachable, with a positive and collaborative attitude and a genuine interest in the metals sector
- Enthusiastic regarding delivering the highest quality research and analysis to clients
- High level of corporate awareness, able to understand the wider business context and demonstrate a commitment to supporting cross-organisational activities
- A confident speaker with good interpersonal skills, able to communicate clearly (both verbally and in writing), and build and maintain trusted and collaborative relationships at all levels
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)