Analyst - Base MetalsLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 14 October 2021
Please note - We will consider candidates who want to be based in London or Pittsburgh. For US candidates, you must have full right to work in the US, we are unable to provide sponsorship.
Our market-leading Base Metals team is seeking a talented and motivated Analyst. The role will be responsible for leading CRU’s Metallic Wire & Cable work.
Reporting into the Wire & Cable Principal Analyst, the role demands the ability to create high-quality, insightful analysis, coupled with the ability to build and maintain and grow strong client relationships. Possessing a clear understanding of the market and being able to provide detailed answers to customer enquiries are key to the role. The Analyst will also be heavily involved in primary research and analysis within the Wire & Cable space, and will need to demonstrate their commercial awareness to assist in delivering growth in future revenue and profits.
We are looking for an individual that has a good understanding of the wider Base Metals industry, with the ability to quickly grasp the key technical and financial aspects desired, whilst being able to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend one’s position clearly. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data management and modelling will be highly beneficial in this role. Having a level of understanding of the metallic W&C industry, would be an advantage, although not essential.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
Knowledge, Data Analysis and Modelling
- Take responsibility for all metallic Wire & Cable data - historical and forecast. This includes additional data sets relating to end-use consumption and polymer demand
- Take responsibility for the global view on metallic Wire & Cable production and demand
- Seek continuous improvement to existing data flows and be comfortable implementing new models
- Continue to develop a deeper understanding of the metallic Wire & Cable industry, and its application/usage within key end-use sectors such as; automotive, construction, domestic appliances, energy generation and transmission
- Collect and maintain information on projects/producers to improve existing databases
Report Writing and Presentations
- Main editor of the Wire & Cable Market Outlook
- Contribute to the Wire & Cable team’s other services, including the Optical Fibre & Cable Monitor, Telecom Cables Market Outlook and HV, EHV & Submarine Cables Market Outlook as needed
- Write high quality reports that are clear and engaging and in keeping with CRU’s standards and formats
- Prepare high-impact presentations and dashboards summarising market developments
- Write timely Insights and Special Features covering developments in the metallic Wire & Cable industry
- Conduct and participate in customer meetings, and speak at seminars and conferences globally
Customer Intimacy and Awareness
- Develop relationships with existing and potential Wire & Cable clients for knowledge sharing and to form an up-to-the minute understanding of their information priorities
- Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on metallic Wire & Cable market developments
- Provide demos of metallic Wire & Cable services to secure sales to new customers alongside identifying new leads
- Develop strong relationships with existing customers to ensure high renewal rates for the Wire & Cable Market Outlook
Training and Collaboration
- Collaborate with team members and other CRU analysts and consultants for learning and sharing best practice
- Take responsibility for internal meetings with regional analysts, copper, and aluminium teams to ensure numbers and views are aligned and reconciled
- Take part in various end-use and regional demand focused meetings on behalf of the Wire & Cable team
- Collaborate with Sales and Marketing team to ensure high renewal rates and strong growth in new sales
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders, whether that be over the phone, in Client meetings, or presenting at Conferences. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills, as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint