Analyst - Battery Metals, Noble Alloys & Minor Metals PricesShanghai, China
Posted 20 May 2020
Please note – Our preference is for the role to be based in Shanghai; however, we would consider applicants who would like to be based in Beijing.
Our Pricing and Analysis team is looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated individual to join their team. This role will support a range of CRU’s battery metal services, as well as covering noble alloys and minor metals, and is focused on key Asian markets.
The role will involve assessing prices, performing market research, and analysing key market movements. You will represent CRU's business internally and externally to a range of stakeholders. This is a unique opportunity to grow CRU’s coverage in Asia and become an expert in a rapidly developing sector of the metals industry. Ideally you will have prior experience working in the metals industry, or commodity markets.
The role requires the ability to maintain and grow a strong network of contacts, accurately assess prices to defined specifications and contribute to the understanding of evolving market requirements for price benchmarks. The Analyst will be contributing to the research, analysis and forecasting of supply and demand for battery metals, and create well-constructed, defensible commentary.
The Analyst must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team. This role is crucial in helping to shape CRU’s view on the Chinese market, providing commentary on market movements, short-term price changes, trade movements, as well as examining demand, capacity, and production information. You must ensure your views and analysis are fully compatible and coherent with other Asia market pricing, and market analysis colleagues, and the wider global CRU steel market view. Seeing as you will be representing CRU externally to key market contacts and customers, having credibility and a strong knowledge of the market will be key to the role.
Candidates must be fluent in Mandarin and English, with the ability to write, present and speak clearly in both languages.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintenance and growth of network of price assessment contacts; price discovery and assessment; collection, ordering and sharing market intelligence; writing market updates; collecting information on market requirements for price benchmarks; and editing
- Maintenance of CRU’s first-class reputation for research, analysis and forecasts for battery metal markets including cobalt, lithium, and nickel sulphate. The individual will gather “soft” market intelligence alongside collecting “hard” data as an input to creating robust estimates and forecasts of demand and supply
- Support the Analysis team in their coverage of the battery raw materials markets in the Asia region
What experience are we looking for?
- Price discovery and assessment
- Network building and maintenance
- Market requirements for pricing benchmarks
- Creation of written market analysis
- Customer value drivers and motivations
- Support the analysis team in their coverage of the battery raw materials markets in the Asia region
- The ability to build, maintain and grow an effective market intelligence network
- Market intelligence gathering
- Critical analysis of data trends and key drivers
- Unrelenting attention to detail and the ability to deploy this in error-free outputs
- Ability to work to strict deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to initiate discussions with market participants and an inquisitive mind to obtain information that helps CRU provide a unique understanding to these markets
- Primary and secondary research