Analyst - Battery MetalsLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 16 September 2020
PLEASE NOTE – Whilst our preference is for this role to be based in London, we would also consider candidates who are based in Sydney, Singapore or Pittsburgh
Our Base Metals team is looking for a highly talented, motivated and capable Analyst. Reporting into our Research Manager for Demands and Markets, the Analyst will lead CRU’s Cobalt Market Outlook Service and will contribute to our Lithium, Nickel Sulphate and Electric Vehicle coverage. The role will focus on market research and mid/long term forecasting, analysing key market movements and providing valuable insight for CRU’s customers in this space. The individual will represent CRU's business internally and externally to a range of stakeholders. This is a unique opportunity to maintain and grow CRU’s reputation in this rapidly developing sector, and to deliver exceptional external client engagement and to grow their profile in the industry.
This role requires the ability to maintain and grow a strong network of contacts and support a large number of engaged customers, across different cultures and countries. This will need to be done through a range of techniques, and building up a strong, credible presence in the market will be key. The Analyst must also be able to work effectively and collaboratively within an international team and to meet strict deadlines. This role is crucial in helping to shape CRU’s view on Battery Metal and Electric Vehicle markets.
The individual must be capable of creating strong and robust market narratives through well-informed, regular, and extensive interactions with a wide range of contacts and analysis of market data. It’s important that the Analyst is able to ensure timely production of a service, whilst upholding the quality of their own and others’ content.
Candidates need to have experience of working in a similar Analysis, or Research type role, and have a proven knowledge in analysing commodity markets. Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. The role will also require a level of international travel, so candidates need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintenance and growth of network of contacts and customers
- Collecting, producing, and sharing market intelligence and analysis
- Present CRU’s view at market leading conferences
- Leading the Cobalt Market Outlook Service; producing mid and long-term forecasts of cobalt supply and demand
- Contributing to CRU’s electric vehicle coverage; producing lithium demand forecasts
- Confidently representing CRU externally to market contacts and customers
About you – What are we looking for?
Knowledge & Experience
- Network building and maintenance
- Strong customer focus
- Market research and forecasting
- Model building and maintaining
- The ability to build, maintain and grow an effective market network
- High-class presentation skills
- Critical analysis and modelling of data trends and key market drivers
- Ability to work to strict deadlines while producing error-free outputs
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-site international team and communicate with team members
- The ability to support colleagues and mentor and coach other team members
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal
- To be a team and company player and work with colleagues towards common goals
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent in written and spoken English