Analyst - Green Hydrogen and AmmoniaLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 29 July 2021
Our Fertilizer team have a unique and exciting role they are currently recruiting for. They are seeking a talented, and highly motivated Analyst to lead our work on the fast-evolving green hydrogen and ammonia space. This role requires an engaging individual who can research and develop forecasts and narrative on a new market, one which will be critical in the global energy transition. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and project managing a new service, with a focus on data, forecasts, and analysis.
Reporting into the Nitrogen Analysis Lead, the Analyst must have strong commercial instincts, and be able to carry vigorous conversations with clients and prospective clients and present at global conferences. The successful candidate will work closely with the CRU commercial team, based on understanding of market needs and competitive dynamics.
The successful individual should have knowledge of the global energy transition and decarbonisation, and an awareness of the fundamental drivers behind international energy markets, with a solid understanding of natural resource economics. Having a probing mindset, with the ability to quickly critique data and information will be one of the key elements of the role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Qualifications will ideally be in Economics or another numerate discipline. The role will also require a level of international travel (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
- Collaborating and coordinating with leaders in the Fertilizer team, and more widely across CRU, particularly the CRU Consulting and CRU Sustainability business units
- Understand the changing market requirements and dynamics for green ammonia
- Responsible for forming the highly sought-after ‘CRU view’ on green hydrogen and ammonia markets
- Editing and report writing on our new green ammonia market outlook
- Working on other CRU fertilizer reports, mainly focusing on less regular reports on niche sectors of the industry
- Work with analysts to evolve and maintain sophisticated supply, demand, price, and production costs models
- Ensure robust and independent forecasts used to provide support for clients across the fertilizer and commodities industry
- Represent CRU globally at the highest level in the fertilizer industry, regularly presenting to large conferences
- Engage in frequent, high quality information exchanges with sophisticated customers and market participants
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Renewable energy, ammonia or hydrogen industry knowledge is an advantage, but not essential
- Proven record of innovative market analysis
- Strong quantitative background and a creative thinker, with the ability to clearly express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing
- An innovative thinker and analyst, who can work closely with a dynamic and enthusiastic team
- Someone who can generate new ideas and keep CRU’s market leading analysis fresh, timely and relevant. Converts these ideas into intellectual property
- Commercial awareness - highly conscious of the commercial drivers of CRU, and seeks to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Robust approach to managing and analysing data
- Passion for quality and innovation, with a flexible and adaptable attitude, willing to accept and drive change.
- A clear communicator, able to operate efficiently, effectively, and professionally within a fast paced and results driven business environment
- Approachable, with a positive and collaborative attitude and ability to develop the team to maintain its position as the industry benchmark
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- IT skills: Excellent data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint