Analyst - LeadLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 05 March 2020
CRU’s Base Metals - Supply and Cost team are seeking a talented and motivated Analyst. The Analyst will be responsible for gathering “soft” market intelligence, alongside collecting “hard” data on the Lead and Lead/Zinc Concentrates market. The Analyst will then need to create well-constructed commentary on recent developments in the market, and defensible 5-year lead production forecasts. The research will be written-up clearly in a range of different reports, insights and special features.
Candidates need to have a top degree (first or 2:1) in a relevant discipline from a leading UK university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university elsewhere. A further degree (Masters and/or PhD) would be helpful but is not essential.
The Analyst needs to have the proven ability to develop and maintain a strong network of contacts, with a strong quantitative background and be a creative thinker, with the ability to express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing. As a business we operate on a global basis, so the Analyst needs to be prepared to work across varied locations with different cultures. Any experience of working within metals and mining will be an advantage.
This key position requires a person who can maintain CRU’s first-class reputation for research on Lead and Lead/Zinc Concentrates. A key requirement will be to maintain strong relationships with a wide network of industry contacts, and successfully promote CRU’s research with existing and potential clients.
Responsibilities will include:
- “Soft” market intelligence: Regular industry contact via telephone, email or ‘face-to-face’ meetings to gain market insight as well as develop relationships with existing and potential customers
- “Hard” data: Collect and estimate key data points mainly covering production, but also on stocks and prices on the markets for Lead and Lead/Zinc Concentrates
- Forecasts: Produce robust Lead production forecasts and communicate them effectively in writing
- Report writing: Contribute written sections for CRU’s various reports and services covering Lead and Lead/Zinc Concentrates. These include Monitors and Market Outlooks
- Topical research: Deliver bespoke research on topical issues in the form of Special Features and Market Insights
- Client requests: Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on the various markets
- Site visits: Conduct occasional site visits to various mines and smelters
- Other visits: Conduct regular face-to-face meetings with customers and industry contacts
- Presentations: Deliver presentations to customers and prospective customers
What experience are we looking for?
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse gathered “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers in order to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets and deadlines
- Commercial awareness: Conscious of the commercial aspects of the role and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a group
- Mature character: Confidence in communicating with market participants by telephone and email and presenting at client meetings. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Knowledge: Good understanding of the metals industry and ability to quickly grasp the key technical aspects of the relevant markets
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate and manage data
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint