CRU’s market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented and motivated individual to head-up our research of the metallurgical coke markets. Specifically, this involves editorship of CRU’s Metallurgical Coke Market Outlook, which is produced twice yearly with quarterly price updates, and contributions to the monthly Steelmaking Raw Materials Monitor and the quarterly Metallurgical Coal Market Outlook.
In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to carry out research of other bulk raw materials markets, such as iron ore and ferroalloys. For the right person, this position will deliver external client engagement, growth in industry profile, development of market analysis capabilities and provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team.
The successful candidate will need to have a proven depth of knowledge in your existing work area.
Applicants should be degree educated (a first or 2:1) from a top British university or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. A further degree (Masters degree with merit and/or PhD) isn’t essential but would be beneficial.
We operate on a global basis, so the job holder will need to expect to travel from time to time, and be comfortable, and it will be necessary to co-ordinate regular meetings with colleagues in overseas offices.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- To be editor of CRU’s Metallurgical Coke Market Outlook, taking the analysis lead for this product to:
- ensure the timely delivery of excellent quality reports
- initiate and deliver enhancements to this product, within the Steel Team product development framework
- develop/maintain outstanding relationships with market participants
- have overall responsibility for CRU’s assessments of spot and contract prices in the metallurgical coke markets
- analyse and interpret the latest data relating to production, trade, consumption and inventories
- forecast consumption, trade, production and prices
- deliver expert quality data and expertly present our analysis in written form, graphically and verbally in both formal and informal settings
- To represent CRU confidently to clients and at conferences
- To be CRU’s “face of metallurgical coke”
- To maintain and develop a structured approach to data collection, storage and analysis
- To ensure consistency: in our data, our forecasting methodologies and our approach to analysis
- To actively participate in the future enhancement of the Steel Platform
- To actively participate in the development and improvement of our analysis of the metallurgical coke market
- To actively participate in the development and improvement of our analytical products
- To work closely with sales and marketing in order to maximise sales of our analytical products
Skills & Competencies
Apply for this role
- Proven analytical skills (i.e. ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers)
- The ability to construct and articulate a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent attention to detail
- An ability to individually work to strict deadlines and to deliver products, which include contributions from several analysts, to strict deadlines
- Commercial awareness, demonstrated by a keen awareness of the current performance of your product(s) and proven ability to spot an opportunity
- A team, business unit and company player
- Excellent IT skills - including the use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent written and spoken English