Analyst - SteelLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 05 March 2021
Please note – We will consider candidates who want to be based in either London or Santiago. Candidates must be fluent in Portuguese.
Our market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented and motivated Analyst to contribute to our market research, analysis, and price discovery.
Working in our London or Santiago office, and reporting into the Analysis Lead - This role demands the highest level of analytical capability, attention to detail, the ability to accurately assess prices to defined specifications, forge a strong network of contacts, and understand and deliver client value.
The Analyst must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team of price and market analysis specialists, to tight deadlines and within the necessary compliance framework. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement and will provide the opportunity to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Specialisms include – Economics, Mining, Geology, Engineering, Mathematics and Sciences. The role will also require a level of international travel (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the steel supply chain
- Create and communicate data driven analysis of market developments and issues that are compelling, logical, and cohesive
- Price discovery and assessment
- Maintain key datasets for areas of specialisation to a high standard, ensuring these are integrated with wider supply chain data
- Understand, maintain, and use existing models and processes to deliver insightful analytical content
- Develop and maintain relationships with key customers and market participants in area of specialisation and across the wider steel value chain
- Proactively gather and appropriately share relevant knowledge and intelligence across the Steel team, and wider CRU business, using the extensive tools CRU has available for this
About you – What experience are we looking for?
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong background in economics, maths, and/or engineering
- Strong quantitative background and a creative thinker based on a rigorous approach to data/modelling
- Ability to conduct primary and secondary research
- Appreciation of the importance of, and ability to maintain and develop, accurate, governed, datasets
- Ability to understand and maintain existing models and processes
- Strong understanding of supply/demand fundamentals analysis
- Ability to conduct robust price discovery and assessment
- Ability to build and maintain a network of market participants
- Ability to develop data driven analysis, and create cohesive and compelling written market analysis content for external audiences
- Ability to develop direct relationships with customers, handle customer queries and proactively provide support
- Appreciation of international working across different sites, time zones and cultures
- Ideally understands steel or metals production processes and supply chains
Skills & Competencies
- Proven analytical skills (ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers)
- Quantitative analysis skills are required
- The ability to construct and express a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to convincingly deliver and defend CRU’s view to external audiences in any setting
- Unrelenting attention to detail and the ability to deploy this in error-free outputs
- An ability to individually work and deliver products to strict deadlines
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent in English and Portuguese – both written and verbal