Analyst - Steel - Russia and CISLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 10 June 2021
Our market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented, motivated, and degree-educated Analyst to lead coverage of Russia and CIS markets and contribute to our global portfolio of market research, analysis, and price discovery.
The successful individual will need to be fluent in Russian, and will be responsible for creating high-quality, insightful industry analysis, whilst ensuring they are building and maintaining solid client relationships. The individual will also need to demonstrate commercial awareness, so they can assist in delivering strong growth in future revenue and profits for our portfolio of Steel services.
Reporting into a Principal Analyst, this role demands a high level of analytical capability, attention to detail, the ability to accurately assess prices to defined specifications, and the ability to forge a strong network of contacts and understand and deliver client value. The Analyst must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team of market analysis and price specialists, to tight deadlines and within the necessary compliance framework. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement and will provide the opportunity to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Qualifications will ideally be in Economics or another numerate discipline. The role will also require a level of international travel (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
Knowledge, data analysis and modelling
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the steel supply chain
- Own CRU’s coverage of Russia and CIS steel markets
- Price discovery and assessment
- Maintain key datasets for areas of specialisation to a high standard, ensuring these are integrated with wider supply chain data
- Understand, maintain, and use existing models and processes to deliver insightful analytical content
Report writing and presentations
- Create and communicate data driven analysis of market developments and issues that are compelling, logical, and cohesive
- Key contributor to regular team reports
- Write timely Insights covering developments in the steel market
- Conduct and participate in customer meetings and speak at seminars and conferences
Customer intimacy and market awareness
- Develop and maintain relationships with key customers and market participants in area of specialisation and across the wider steel value chain
- Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on area of market expertise
- Support commercial teams to secure sales to new customers
- Develop strong relationships with existing customers to ensure a high renewal rate for team products
Training and collaboration
- Proactively gather and appropriately share relevant knowledge and intelligence across the Steel team and wider CRU business
- Collaborate with team members and other CRU analysts and consultants for learning and sharing best practice
- Collaborate with the Sales and Marketing team to ensure high renewal rates and strong growth in new sales
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse gathered “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Sector Experience: Ideally understands steel or metals production processes and supply chains, and a deeper understanding of Commodity markets
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Commercial awareness: Conscious of the commercial aspects of the role, and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a group
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with market participants whether face to face, online, or over email. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of clients and contacts
- Communication skills: Fluency in English and Russian (written and spoken)
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint