Analyst - SteelLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 14 October 2020
Are you a recent Graduate? We are interested in hearing from Economics, Mining, Geology, Engineering, Mathematics, Sciences graduates
If you want to start your career with an international and diverse company - CRU could be the company for you
Our market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented and motivated Analyst to contribute to our market research, analysis and price discovery.
Working in our London office, and reporting into a Principal Analyst - This role demands the highest level of analytical capability, attention to detail, the ability to accurately assess prices to defined specifications, forge a strong network of contacts, and understand and deliver client value.
The Analyst must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team of price and market analysis specialists, to tight deadlines and within the necessary compliance framework. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement and will provide the opportunity to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. We will also consider candidates who only hold an Undergraduate degree.
CRU operate globally, so the successful candidate would be expected to travel to meet business requirements. (Dependant on pandemic travel restrictions)
Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of steel supply chain and how areas of specialisation fit into this
- Create and communicate data driven analysis of market developments and issues that are compelling, logical and cohesive
- Price discovery and assessment
- Maintain key datasets for area of specialism to a high standard, ensuring these are integrated with wider supply chain data
- Understand, maintain and use existing models and processes to deliver robust analytical content
- Develop and maintain relationships with key customers and market participants in area of specialism and across the wider steel value chain
- Proactively gather and appropriately share relevant knowledge and intelligence across the Steel team and wider CRU business, using the extensive tools CRU has available for this
About you – What are we looking for?
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong background in economics, maths, and/or engineering
- Strong quantitative background and a creative thinker based on a robust approach to data/modelling
- Ability to conduct primary and secondary research
- Appreciation of importance, and ability to maintain and develop, robust, governed, datasets
- Ability to understand and maintain existing models and processes
- Strong understanding of supply/demand fundamentals analysis
- Ability to conduct robust price discovery and assessment
- Ability to build and maintain a network of market participants
- Ability to develop data driven analysis, and create cohesive and compelling written market analysis content for external audiences
- Ability to develop direct relationships with customers, handle customer queries and proactively provide support
- Appreciation of international working across different sites and cultures
- Ideally an understanding of steel or metals production processes and supply chains
Skills & Competencies
- Proven analytical skills (ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers)
- Quantitative analysis skills would be a distinct advantage
- The ability to construct and express a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- The ability to build, maintain and grow an effective market intelligence network
- Price discovery (networking with market participants to gather market intelligence and price data).
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal - With the ability to convincingly deliver and defend CRU’s view to external audiences in any setting
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-site international team - effectively communicating with team members
- Unrelenting attention to detail and the ability to deploy this in error-free outputs
- An ability to individually work and deliver products to strict deadlines
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent in English – Both written and verbal