Coal AnalystBeijing, China
Posted 09 December 2020
Our market leading Steel team is seeking a talented and motivated Coal Analyst to join the team in Beijing. The role will work with the Coal & Coke, Steel Raw Materials and Steel Costs teams to provide analysis of the Chinese coal market. There will be particular focus on Chinese thermal coal demand, Chinese coal mine production and costs, and the impact of Chinese policy on the coal industry. The Coal Analyst will also be involved in the analysis of the global coal market more generally, which will require regular interactions with clients and market participants, both within and outside of China. For the right person, this position will deliver external client engagement, growth in industry profile, development of market analysis capabilities and provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team.
The Coal Analyst will need to have the ability to construct a compelling narrative, and have the confidence to express and defend their position clearly. A background in mining and metals and/or energy and agriculture will be highly advantageous. Ideally the Coal Analyst will have a strong quantitative background, and be a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data and modelling.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Candidates must have first class communication skills, and be fluent in English and Mandarin.
CRU operates on a global basis, so the jobholder may be expected to communicate across our global offices and time zones. There will also be some level of business travel required outside of China.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
Knowledge, Data Analysis and Modelling
- Overall responsibility for CRU’s analysis of Chinese thermal coal demand, coal mine production and costs
- Understanding of how the Chinese policy will impact the coal industry
- Collect, maintain and incorporate key data relating to the thermal coal market and Chinese coal mines, including site visits to obtain primary data
- Ensure the accuracy of model assumptions
- Work closely with other members of CRU’s Coal & Coke and broader Steel team to ensure data consistency
- Contribute to the delivery of all aspects of our Coal services
Report Writing and Presentations
- Written or PowerPoint contributions to the regular publications of the Coal & Coke, and wider Steel team, with a particular focus on China
- Conduct client presentations and respond to questions arising from any deliverables (e.g. data, models, reports etc) in a prompt and highly professional manner
- Provide clear demonstrations of the capability of the coal cost models to prospective clients in support of the sales effort
- Provide training and coaching in the operation and functionality of the coal cost models to both clients and CRU staff
- Present at industry conferences and in support of sales and marketing activity
Customer Intimacy and Market Awareness
- Build a network of industry contacts within China, and further afield where appropriate
- Ensure the continuous improvement of our services, for example, by expanding coverage
- Collaborate with CRU Consulting, and where required participate in the delivery of single-client management consulting assignments related to costs
About you – What experience are we looking for?
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm; able to operate efficiently, effectively and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven business environment
- An analytical mind-set and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive our business and strategy
- Excellent team ethic and able to build strong interpersonal relationships
- Organised and be able to deliver to strict deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills, including the use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Demonstrable experience in statistical and data analysis