Posted 27 July 2021
Please note – Candidates must have full right to work in Australia – We are unable to provide any level of Visa Sponsorship.
Our Consulting division are looking for a talented, highly motivated Consultant to join the Sydney office, and support their regional team in delivering insightful analysis of commodity markets. This position will provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team, and provide unrivalled exposure and experience working across multiple industries.
CRU Consulting is the consultancy arm of the CRU Group and delivers bespoke projects across a wide section of clients in the mining, metals, and energy industries. We provide value to our clients through accurate data, insightful analysis, and timely delivery. Working alongside industry experts, you will play a key role within our consulting division, providing in-depth and insightful knowledge on a wide range of exciting and often confidential global projects.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate, and ideally a Masters or Post Graduate degree). Ideal disciplines are Economics, Mining, Geology, Engineering, Mathematics and Sciences. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
- Carry out primary research across a range of product areas, taking functional leadership from the lead consultant of those products
- Discover and develop own insights and model the implications for supply, demand, costs, and prices
- Work with senior consultants/analysts on developing and improving CRU models or investigating a particular project
- Find, use, maintain and develop data, models, and methodologies that CRU use to produce transparent results for customers, identifying key trends and insights that are clear and meaningful
- Maintain and develop a structured approach to data collection, storage, and analysis
- Understand and contribute to CRU’s research and forecast models and methodologies from complex commodity market data
Report Writing and Presentations
- Explain CRU’s views clearly and engagingly in written reports and presentation
- Make recommendations / suggestions about style, formatting, and content
- Work in highly collaborative international teams; sharing information, presenting, and testing ideas
- Interact with key persons in the London and global offices
Customer Interaction, Market Awareness and Marketing
- Contribute to commercial proposals, marketing insights and presentations
- Keep informed on market developments
- Understand customer requirements and work with colleagues to meet those needs
- Take part in and contribute to customer/site visits and conference meetings as required, working with other team members and CRU Sales and Marketing team
About you - What skills are we looking for?
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm; able to operate efficiently, effectively, and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven business environment
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Strong quantitative background and a creative thinker based on a robust approach to data/modelling
- Previous working experience in the mining and metals industry would be highly advantageous
- An analytical mind-set and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive our business and strategy
- Strong commercial awareness
- Ability to discuss confidently with market participants and an inquisitive mind to obtain information that helps CRU Consulting provide a unique understanding to these markets
- Ability to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend position clearly
- Excellent team ethic and able to build strong interpersonal relationships
- Organised and be able to work to strict deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Aptitude to learn new systems; experience with statistical software (such as R, EViews, STATA or MATLAB) will be an advantage