ConsultantPittsburgh, United States
Posted 11 August 2021
Please note, candidates must have full right to work in the US. We are unable to provide Visa Sponsorship.
Our Consulting division is looking for highly motivated Consultants to join the North American Pittsburgh based team. This position will provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team, and provide unrivalled exposure and experience working with clients across industry, investment, and government.
CRU Consulting (CRUC) is the consultancy arm of the CRU Group and delivers bespoke projects to various clients in the mining, metals, and energy industries. We provide value to our clients through insightful analysis, accurate data, and timely delivery. Working alongside industry experts, you will play a key role within our consulting division, providing in-depth and insightful knowledge on a wide range of exciting and often confidential global projects.
As a Consultant you will participate in and oversee and deliver a variety of consulting projects, including those in relation to our strategy, financing, public policy, legal or sustainability practices. Projects will vary dependant on your experience and the project work we have at any given time. The ability to provide key analysis and insight, intellectual leadership, develop client relationships and develop and effectively manage the delivery of high-quality work for clients will be the keys to your success in this role.
Applicants should have solid proven experience as an analyst or consultant in a commodity-based sector (preferably metals or mining) or in a related commercial, investment, technical or governmental role. Candidates from industry, manufacturing or materials focussed backgrounds will also be considered. Being a first-class fluent English communicator, both written and verbal are essential. A second language (ideally Spanish) would be advantageous.
Candidates should have obtained at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. Ideal disciplines are Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, Geology, Metallurgy, Public Policy, Sustainability or Material Science. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with the potential for future travel.
Reporting into a Senior Manager within CRU Consulting, the Consultant will have 3 key focus areas:
Your understanding of the strategic issues primarily in the metals, mining and energy markets will be significant, and your role within CRU Consulting will be pivotal as the company grows strongly in new markets:
- Insight – The candidate will have a strong background in qualitative and quantitative research, and will be a creative thinker based on a robust analytical approach
- Knowledge management and transfer – The candidate must be cognisant of the importance of sharing knowledge and ideas in a constructive and supportive way. A successful candidate is expected to leverage their own experiences and knowledge base across the global team and, over time, provide mentorship to junior team members
- Thought leadership - The candidate will be faced with challenging questions from our clients. In some cases, this will be for work that falls adjacent or beyond the existing research in CRU. The candidate must be flexible and open to profitably developing new areas of research as the market requires
Business Development and Sales
- Develop successful client relationships - Promote CRUC consultancy services to a wide range of potential clients
- Leads - Using own leads, and leads provided by other CRU business units, identify, and develop project assignments. Contribute ideas for business development to the CRUC management team, and departmental marketing meetings
- Negotiation of project contracts – Providing clarity on scope, timescale, and value, to ensure that projects are delivered profitably and to the complete satisfaction of the customer
- Present and follow up projects - Resolve any queries raised by the client
Project and Team Management
- Act as “Project Manager” in some projects - Outlining the strategy for conducting the research, securing adequate resource from within CRUC, and other CRU business units, and defining and communicating the objectives of the project to all involved
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Team working: Someone who can take initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Inquisitiveness: Strong interest in continual learning; open to new ideas and perspectives
- Bravery: Willing to take on new challenges outside of one’s existing knowledge base
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit while generating the best value for clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: An analytical and enquiring mind-set, and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive our business and strategy
- Thought Leadership skills: A thought leader with respect to markets, policies, or technical aspect of commodities. Proven experience in the application of new thought to market, commercial, investment, sustainability, or public policy issues facing the mining, metals, and fertilizer chains
- Project management: The expertise to lead projects effectively, demonstrating strong communication, problem-solving and time management skills
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint