Copper Supply AnalystLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 07 October 2021
Please note – We will consider applications from candidates also based in Santiago or Pittsburgh
Our market-leading Base Metals team is seeking a talented and motivated Analyst to provide data, analysis, and insight on the global copper market. This role focuses on copper supply, examining mining, smelting, refining and copper scrap.
Reporting into the Supply Lead Analyst, the Analyst will be responsible for developing and demonstrating detailed knowledge of copper supply, and to take on responsibility for CRU’s coverage of a key copper producing region. The ability to create high-quality, insightful analysis, coupled with the ability to build and maintain and grow strong client and industry relationships, whilst possessing a clear understanding of the market, and being able to provide detailed answers to customer enquiries will be key to the role.
We are looking for an individual that has a good understanding of the wider Base Metals industry, ideally within the Copper market. The Analyst will need to be4 able to quickly grasp the key technical and financial aspects desired, whilst being able to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend one’s position clearly. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data modelling will be highly beneficial in this role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) in a relevant discipline (Geology, Mining Engineering, Material Science) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities will include:
Knowledge, Research and Data Analysis
- Access copper supply indicators including TC/RCs, concentrate specs and trade flows, mine/smelter capacity and production, calculate detailed costs for mine assets and projects, track company developments
- Collect and analyse key data sets and produce 5-year copper supply forecasts
- Maintain team’s spreadsheets and databases
- Produce high-quality written sections for the team’s portfolio of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
- Contribute regular Special Features on topical subjects as they arise
Customer Support and Sales
- Respond to ad-hoc client and internal requests for data and opinions in a timely and professional manner
- Participate in customer conference calls and briefings where appropriate
- Attend and provide presentations at industry conferences where appropriate
- Actively support CRU’s sales and marketing teams to maximise sales of our products
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders, whether that be over the phone, in Client meetings, or presenting at Conferences. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills, as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint