Copper Supply AnalystLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 19 February 2021
Please note – We will also consider candidates who are based in Pittsburgh or Santiago. Candidates applying from these locations must have full right to work, as no Visa sponsorship will be provided.
Our market-leading Base Metals team is looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated Copper Supply Analyst to join the team in our London office. The Supply Analyst will be responsible for providing the data, analysis, and insights on the global Copper market. This role will mainly focus on Copper supply, examining Mining, Smelting, Refining, and Copper Scrap.
Reporting into the Research Manager, this key position requires an individual who can maintain CRU’s first-class reputation of analysis into the Copper market. The Supply Analyst will be required to produce high quality reports and forecasts, build, and maintain strong relationships with our clients and expand our wide network of industry contacts. The role also requires a person to promote CRU’s services with existing and potential clients, so candidates need to have a proven ability to develop and maintain a strong network of industry contacts. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement, and to grow their profile in the industry.
We are looking for an Analyst that has a good understanding of the Metals and Mining industry, and more specifically with Copper and/or Base Metals. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, with the ability to express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing, will be highly beneficial in this role. Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. The role will also require a level of international travel, so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities will include:
Knowledge, Research & Data Analysis
- Develop and demonstrate detailed knowledge of Copper supply, and take on responsibility for CRU’s coverage of a key Copper producing region
- Build and maintain relationships with key industry players
- Access Copper supply indicators including TC/RCs, concentrate specs and trade flows, mine/smelter capacity, and production, calculate detailed costs for mine assets and projects, and track company developments
- Collect and analyse key data sets, and produce 5-year copper supply forecasts
- Maintain team spreadsheets and databases
- Produce high-quality written sections for the team’s portfolio of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
- Contribute regular Special Features on topical subjects as they arise
Customer Support & Sales
- Respond to ad-hoc client and internal requests for data and opinions in a timely and professional manner
- Participate in customer conference calls and briefings where appropriate
- Attend and provide presentations at industry conferences where appropriate
- Actively support CRU’s Sales and Marketing teams to maximise sales of our products
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Proven ability to develop and maintain a strong network of industry contacts
- Strong quantitative background based on a robust approach to data/modelling
- Numeracy and ability to critically analyse data, identifying trends and key drivers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Confidence in talking to market participants by telephone and face-to-face
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to work to strict deadlines
- Responsive to client needs
- Commercially aware
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken