Economist - EuropeLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 22 April 2021
Our Economics team are looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated Economist who will lead our analysis of the European economy. This will involve shaping our forecast judgements, communicating your view to clients, prospects, and colleagues throughout CRU, and closely monitoring data and developments in European economies.
The Economics team are responsible for producing a global forecast, and an economic story to support that view. The team’s brand is ‘Where macroeconomics meets commodities’, which means our focus is on linking developments in the wider economy to sectors and countries that matter, to our clients in the global mining, metals and fertilizer industries.
Reporting into the Principal Economist, the Economist should have a strong quantitative background in economics, with an organised approach to handling data and econometric modelling. Having a keen interest in applying economic thinking to ‘real world’ business challenges will be key to the success of this role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) in Economics – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. For any candidates that are fluent in an additional European language, this would be advantageous. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities will include:
- Produce monthly forecasts for the Eurozone and other economies, using the Oxford Economics Global Macro Model, and your own knowledge and judgement
- To bring out the key implications of our view on the European economy for metals markets, presenting this information in a way that maximises value for clients. In the process, you will build expertise in these markets, absorbing knowledge from clients and colleagues in CRU
- Use your data and analysis skills to support the Chief Economist as required – For example, with data collection, preparing charts and presentations and improving spreadsheets
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- An interest in European policy and how this interacts with Economics
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm
- Able to operate efficiently and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic environment
- A creative thinker who can present information in a visually appealing way
- Excellent written and spoken English, and strong presentation skills
- Confident interacting with a range of clients/internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent data manipulation skills using Excel, as well as PowerPoint and Word
- Experience with statistical software (e.g. R, Stata or E-views)
- Ability to write clearly, and communicate it to others confidently
- Experience of forecasting would be an advantage
Apply for this role here