Fertilizer Analyst - ChinaBeijing, China
Posted 22 April 2021
Our Fertilizer team is looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated Analyst to be based in our Beijing office. The Analyst role is a key component of CRU’s China Fertilizer Business, and the focus of the role will be on the Chinese phosphate, sulphur, and agricultural markets, covering both short-term price trends for our Fertilizer Week publication, and longer-term developments for our market outlook and cost services.
Reporting into the Principal Analyst, the Analyst role is a dynamic position which will involve interaction with local market contacts in China, and international colleagues and clients. This is a great opportunity for an individual to deliver exceptional external client engagement, develop a strong industry profile in an exciting and fast changing market, and to become an integral part of a supportive and truly international team.
We are looking for an Analyst that has a strong quantitative background in maths and/or economics, whilst being a creative thinker with a robust approach to data and an understanding of commodity markets. The ability to critically analyse data, identify trends and key drivers will only contribute to the success of this role. Candidates should be degree educated from an internationally recognised University, in a relevant high-quality subject. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of travel (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates need to be comfortable with this. Fluency in Mandarin and English is essential for this role.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assess Chinese import/export and domestic market prices, following CRU methodology and compliance
- Monitor and research industry developments, including supply, demand, and production costs
- Contribute to CRU’s market leading services
- Represent CRU at various Chinese and global conferences
- Constant communication with global CRU offices and clients
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- An analytical mind-set and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive our business and strategy
- Ability to understand the complex processes involved in the mining of raw materials and production of Fertilizers
- An ability to work to deadlines, with excellent attention to detail.
- Commercial awareness and a desire to travel & interact with the industry and build diverse networks
- Ability to quickly build a strong network of market contacts
- Confident talking with market participants and presenting at client meetings
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm; able to operate efficiently, effectively, and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven business environment
- Creative in the application of first principles to problems, and mindful of the time constraints of a business environment
- Approachable, with a positive and collaborative attitude and a genuine interest in developing the team to maintain its position as the industry benchmark – delivering value to our clients
- Delivery focused and a passion for quality and innovation, with a flexible and adaptable attitude, willing to accept and drive change
- Customer focus is key – share knowledge and updates on China market with our globally based customers
- Exposure working across locations with different cultures
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)