Head of Base Metals - Supply & CostsLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 15 August 2019
A unique exciting opportunity has arisen in the Base Metals Team, for an energetic and highly motivated individual to take over the position of Head of Base Metals Supply and Costs. This pivotal role requires a charismatic individual who can lead, guide and assist the team in producing an extensive portfolio of products and services. You will be responsible for managing a team of 12 people located in the UK, Chile, China, Singapore and Australia.
The successful candidate will have a proven track-record of creating high-quality, insightful analysis coupled with the ability to build and maintain solid client relationships. Another essential requirement for the role is the need to demonstrate commercial awareness and strategic talent to assist in securing a market leadership position for the Base Metals Team, thereby delivering strong growth in future revenue and profits.
Candidates should have a top degree (first or 2:1) in Geology, Mining Engineering or a related discipline from a leading university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside the UK. A further degree (Masters degree and/or PhD) would be helpful, but is not essential.
CRU operates on a global basis, and the jobholder must be available to travel at least 10% of working time.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
Management & Leadership: Resource planning; implementing company policy; directing and coaching junior team members; performance reviews and setting goals; driving efficiencies; encouraging innovation and change
Research & Forecasts:
- Mine profiles, costs and cashflows: Provide updates for a limited number of high-profile assets/companies; provide support, guidance and mentoring to Head of Base Metal Costs and the rest of the Costs Team
- Multi-commodity coverage: Work across base metal markets, identifying cross-commodity supply and cost trends and generating interesting conclusions
- Primary research: Undertake original research on topical issues in the form of Special Features and Market Insights
- Regular report writing & editing: Contribute to regular reports where needed and take a leading role in editing the written work of the team
- Quality control: Ensure output of the team (data, text and charts) is of the highest quality
External Profile: Develop strong customer relationships; assist in enhancing the reputation of the team by delivering regular presentations at international conferences; generate and deliver demos of our Base Metals Cost Model; participate in client workshops; and work collaboratively with the Sales Team to boost sales
Strategy: Work with the Head of the Base Metals Team to determine the strategy and vision for the Supply & Costs team
Knowledge & Experience
- Extensive experience in metals and mining, preferably in base metals
- In-depth knowledge of mining costs, cashflows and valuations
- Solid understanding of natural resource economics (from exploration to developing a reserve)
- Familiarity with mining technologies
- Strong quantitative background and a creative thinker, with the ability to clearly express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing
- Extensive experience of working across multi-locations with different cultures
Skills & Competencies
- Proven leadership and management skills: Experience of successfully managing and leading large teams
- Mature, collaborative approach: Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of team members and customers, and who will promote a collaborative working environment
- Communication skills: Clear, effective communication of ideas and objectives both internally and externally (verbally and written)
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse data and information. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers in order to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Commercial awareness: Highly conscious of the commercial aspects of the role and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
Technical & Other Skills
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate and manage data
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint