Head of Steel - Analysis
Posted 17 January 2021
Our newly appointed Head of Analysis is now recruiting for a new leader to head up our market leading Steel Team, and to be part of the Analysis Leadership Group. The Steel Team has over 45 talented Analysts and Price Specialists across the Globe, all of which play a major part in the business, accounting for one third of our Group sales.
The Head of Steel will have accountability for all price, analysis, forecasting and cost services, including Newsletter services of Steel Market Update. The Head of Steel will need to be resilient and determined, yet be able to fully support and nurture their team. They must be able to reliably maintain current operations, yet identify and pursue growth and development opportunities.
As a member of the Analysis Leadership Group, the individual will need to effectively collaborate with other Analysis Business Unit heads, the Chief Economist and Head of Multicommodity and Production. This will ensure that Analysis continues to be a supportive and high-performing team, who will collectively achieve the objectives of the Analysis division. The Head of Steel must also advocate alignment and collaboration with the Events and Consulting divisions, and be able to work successfully in a matrix structure with functional and Country Heads.
The Head of Steel must have the ability and experience to lead a large, international team, to ensure that the reliable delivery and development of market-leading analysis output continues across the steel value chain. The role also includes responsibility for protecting and developing key steel and bulk ferroalloy prices in North America, but with growing focus in other markets including APAC. They will therefore need to lead analysis operations, but also have or quickly develop a working understanding of the market for steel and steelmaking raw material prices.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
- Management, coaching and development of Senior Analysts and Team Leaders
- Driving through others, the delivery and development of CRU Steel and Steelmaking raw materials price and analysis services
- Supporting the growth of CRUs Global Emissions Service, through development of steel emissions content and working with all other cost teams to promote consistency of data and approach
- Ongoing stewardship of CRU’s US Midwest flat-rolled and other critical index-linked prices
- Driving product and process development, in collaboration with the Research Director and other stakeholders
- Contributing to the formation and execution of Analysis-wide strategy and development initiatives
- Representing the Steel Team to external stakeholders and audiences at the highest level
- Growing sales of steel services, and supporting growth in other analysis services
- Managing costs of the Steel team within agreed levels
About you – What experience are we looking for?
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of the Metals market (ideally Steel), Industry and value chain knowledge, and new market demands/requirements
- Knowledge of data and market analysis needs of industrial customers
- Leadership of large, multi-layered teams
- Coaching and development of senior staff
- Understanding of subscription and data/information business models
- Client and other external stakeholder-facing experience at senior levels
- Master’s degree in Economics, other numerate discipline or MBA would be an advantage
- Project/programme management experience
- Experience of budgeting and financial management
Skills & Competencies
- Understanding of customer requirements, and then working with others to have the ability to translate these requirements into service development
- Collaboration and effective working in a matrix and highly international organisation
- Strategic and innovative thinking
- Managing through others, coaching and development of senior staff
- The ability to maintain a high level of engagement with, and motivate a diverse and partly remote team
- The ability to inspire and provide directional leadership
- The ability to lead and manage senior stakeholder interactions, internally and externally, including at C-suite and Board level
- The ability to manage multiple priorities across a wide variety of areas – People, technical, commercial, internal/process and external/market