Market Analyst - ChromeLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 08 February 2021
Our market-leading Base Metals team is looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated Market Analyst to join their team in our London office. The Market Analyst will lead CRU’s analysis on the Chrome Market, and the role will cover the full market value chain, with editorial responsibility for the Chrome Monitor, the Ferrochrome Market Outlook and the Ferrochrome Cost services.
Reporting into the Research Manager, this key position requires an individual who can maintain CRU’s first-class reputation for research into the Ferrochrome Market. The Market Analyst will be required to produce high quality reports and forecasts, build, and maintain strong relationships with our clients and expand our wide network of industry contacts. The role also requires a person to promote CRU’s services with existing and potential clients, so candidates need to have a proven ability to develop and maintain a strong network of industry contacts. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement, and to grow their profile in the industry.
We are looking for an Analyst that has a good understanding of the Metals and Mining industry, and more specifically Ferrochrome and/or Stainless Steel. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, with the ability to express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing, will be highly beneficial in this role. Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. The role will also require a level of international travel, so candidates need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
- Production, capacity, and demand data - Collect and analyse production, capacity, consumption, and cost data for the ferrochrome market
- Other data - Collect information on Ferrochrome trade and stockpiles, and Chrome Ore production. Work as part of the team setting CRU’s view on stainless steel markets
- Forecasts - Produce robust demand, supply and price forecasts for Ferrochrome and Chrome Ore, and communicate these effectively. Produce robust forecasts of operating costs for Ferrochrome smelters
- Report writing - Take the leading role in producing CRU’s Chrome Monitor, Ferrochrome Market Outlook, and Ferrochrome Cost services. This includes setting the global market view, write key sections of the reports and edit contributions from other CRU analysts across our offices
- Topical research - Deliver bespoke research on topical issues in the form of Special Features and Market Insights
- Client requests - Proactively engage with our clients and reactively field their questions and queries
- Relationship-building - Develop relationships and maintain regular contact with existing and potential Chrome miners, smelters, consumers, traders, and financial market participants
- Visits - Conduct regular visits to key customers and industry contacts (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant)
- Presentations - Deliver presentations on the Chrome market at large conferences, for key and potential clients, and at smaller workshops and seminars
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Analytical skills - The ability to critically analyse data and information. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers in order to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Customer focused - Puts the needs of the customer at the centre of their thinking
- Performance driven - The ability to consistently demonstrate that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Commercial awareness - Conscious of the commercial aspects of the role and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Team working - Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a group, working with Analysts across the globe
- Integrity - Confidence in communicating with market participants and presenting at client meetings. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of our clients
- Communication skills - Complete fluency, both written and spoken, in English
- Numeracy - Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- IT Skills - Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint