Information and knowledge
Market Data Product ManagerPittsburgh, United States
Posted 04 October 2023
We are looking for a Data Driven Product Manager to lead an exciting transformation in our market data services.
This is a huge opportunity for the right person; CRU is a global leader in commodity markets data and analysis, and our clients rely on us to help them make critical business decisions. Our data and content are produced by a great team of world experts within a high quality, subscription business. The offering is completed by professional consulting and hosted events and communities. As a Product Manager, you will build on these foundations to unleash new sources of value for our clients, for example by enabling our proprietary data to be combined in new ways to enable better, data-driven decisions in traditional industries as well as important new areas such as energy transition and sustainability.
As any product manager,
- You will speak to our clients and analyse data on their usage to identify interesting problems.
- You will seek alignment with our strategic priorities be they commercial and in technology.
- You will frame the key problems we want to solve as user stories so that they can be prioritised for development or testing.
- Once we agree that an idea can be tested or a feature released to clients, you will construct an explicit sustainable business model as a hypothesis and carry out that testing. You will coordinate and communicate with the wider business so that all understand the vision, what we will gain, and what evidence we should expect to see of success.
- When the new product is ready for sale, you will write and own the Go to Market plan with marketing for each release, later working closely with the sales team.
The day-to-day management of development projects will be done by a Product Owner who works within the same team.
Necessary skills and behaviours
- The candidate must have experience or be keen on applying agile product development with a commercial focus and internal alignment.
- The Product Manager should have experience at helping sales sell the new services and also ideally working closely with other teams such a marketing, subject matter experts and technology
- We would like someone who has the drive and experience to translate inevitable complexity into simple messages. Building a common language, and being scientific while also being open to diverse thought and challenge are also important behaviours in this role.
- We will favour applicants who have a few years of solid experience in how our clients use data (or third-party data in general). They could be someone who has experience of business intelligence strategy and execution. Experience of commodity producers or investors will be welcome but is not essential.
- Line management experience might also be useful as is working with technology and commercial partners.