Principal Analyst - AluminiumLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 15 July 2021
Our market-leading Analysis division is seeking a talented and motivated Principal Analyst to join the Aluminium team in London.
The Principal Analyst will be focussing on our services covering the markets of bauxite, alumina, and carbon products (coal tar pitch, calcined coke), as well as the analysis of the supply side of the Aluminium industry through the value chain. The successful candidate will also be responsible for the growth of our revenue in this part of the value chain. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, motivated analyst and leader, with a good knowledge of the global commodity markets and a sound understanding of economic and commercial principles, that they can utilise to support the growth of the business. The Principal Analyst will also have a leadership role in the Aluminium team, which will require the development of 3-4 people, and facilitating career progression by enabling team members to fulfil their potential.
The Principal Analyst will oversee CRU’s range of services in the Aluminium raw materials space, and pursue commercially viable opportunities to grow revenue and profit, whilst managing CRU’s supply side platforms to support the analysis across the value chain. Ensuring the continued success of CRU’s price assessments for alumina, bauxite, and carbon products, will be key to the success of this role. The person will support CRU’s relationships with customers and associations through visits and teleconference meetings, so the ability to communicate well with clients (both verbally and in writing), will be key to the success of this role. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement and to grow their profile even further in the industry.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with the Head of Aluminium, and other team leaders in achieving sustainable growth. Particularly focusing on the company’s Customer Intimacy objectives, or providing first class analysis and service to clients
- Working closely with the Sales and Marketing teams to help market and sell CRU’s services
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of CRU’s databases on the raw materials markets, and CRU’s supply platforms and databases across the whole of the Aluminium value chain
- Ensure high quality price assessments and their adoption in the raw materials space
- Investigate commercially viable opportunities to improve and expand CRU’s coverage of non-metallurgical grade alumina, and other raw materials markets such as aluminium fluoride and caustic soda
We are looking for an individual that has a solid understanding of the wider Mining/Metals, or Energy industry. Knowledge of the oil industry is not essential but may be beneficial in understanding carbon product markets for aluminium smelting. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data management and modelling will be highly beneficial in this role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Leadership skills: Demonstrable experience of coaching, inspiring, influencing, and developing team members
- Project management: The expertise to lead projects effectively, demonstrating strong communication, problem-solving and time management skills
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English. Additional languages would be advantageous
- IT Skills: Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint