Principal EconomistLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 19 February 2020
A unique opportunity has arisen for an ambitious and motivated individual to take on the position of Principal Economist within CRU’s small Economics team based in London. The team’s brand is ‘Where macroeconomics meets commodities’ which means linking wider macro developments to the commodity industry. The core purpose of the team is production of CRU’s global economics forecasts, which are used extensively across CRU’s Analysis business and published externally to our customers.
This pivotal role calls for an individual to work closely with the Chief Economist to identify, brainstorm key issues and bring them to life through the organisation and with our customers in the commodity industry.
The individual will hold operational responsibility for the delivery of our global economics forecast and the associated flagship report – the Global Economic Outlook – for which they will be editor. They will train and guide the junior team members; ensure data, process and methodologies that underlie our economic forecasts meet CRU standards.
The successful candidate will have a proven track-record as a first-rate economist and forecaster. They will bring some form of prior experience in management. They will have the ability to build and maintain client relationships and be commercially aware. Candidates need to have a Masters in Economics from a top tier university, alongside a Bachelors degree in Economics (minimum 2.1) from a top tier university (or equivalent level qualification from a university outside the UK).
CRU has a strong ethos around continuous learning, with many opportunities to grow your knowledge and network. This role will provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team, with opportunities to travel. CRU has offices in Beijing, London, Mumbai, Pittsburgh, Santiago, Shanghai, Singapore and Sydney and clients all over the world.
Responsibilities will include:
Management & Leadership:
- Planning and organisation: responsible for resource and process planning, driving efficiencies and innovation
- Coaching: guiding junior team members on both economic analysis and writing skills
- Thought leadership: identify and develop economic themes and ideas that impact on commodities
- Strategy: work with the Chief Economist to develop and implement the economics team mission and strategy
Economic Research & Forecasting:
- Forecasting: as a small team, you will need to be involved in producing forecasts yourself, as well as help others to produce their forecasts (using a combination of simple economic analysis as well as econometric models)
- Primary research: undertake original research, and produce compelling research notes to be shared with our clients
- Report editor and writing: act as editor of the team’s flagship product – the Global Economic Outlook, which involves writing sections yourself, and editing the sections written by others. You will also contribute to other reports written by the team (the Cost Macro Report and the Exchange Rate Outlook) and the company
- Quality control: ensure team outputs are of the highest quality
- Customer relationships: play a key role in enhancing the reputation of the team and CRU with our customers, by delivering regular presentations at international conferences; participate in client workshops; work with Commodity Teams to enhance the quality of offering, and the Sales Team to leverage commercial opportunities sales
What experience are we looking for?
- Leadership and management: Experience of managing process and managing people (either formally as their manager or informally as a coach/mentor)
- Collaborative approach: Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of team members and customers, and who will promote a collaborative working environment
- Communication skills: First class communication skills, both written and verbal
- Economic analysis: An established career as an economist, writing and presenting on macroeconomics. Knowledge of the US economy would be an advantage
- Forecasting: comfortable with economic forecasting. Knowledge of large-scale forecast models and/or exchange rate forecasting would be an advantage
- Commercial awareness: the desire to provide customers with value and conscious of the commercial aspects of the business
- Goal oriented: able to operate efficiently, effectively and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven environment