Research Analyst - AluminumPittsburgh, United States
Posted 21 April 2021
Our market leading Aluminum team is looking for a talented and motivated graduate Research Analyst to join the team in our Pittsburgh office. The Research Analyst will be responsible for providing data, analysis, and insight on the global Aluminum market. The role will focus on primary Aluminum, semi-finished products, recycling, demand modelling and end-use consumption.
Applicants should have a good understanding of the Commodity Markets, and more specifically within the Metals and Mining industry. Having a strong quantitative background based on a robust approach to data/modelling, whilst being a creative thinker with the ability to express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing, will be highly beneficial in this role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top university. Spanish language skills would be an advantage, however, are not essential. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. This role will also require a level of global travel (pandemic restrictions dependant), so the individual will need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
Knowledge, Research and Data Analysis
- Keep up to date with current global and regional economic trends
- Track key base metal market indicators including prices, stocks, demand, and company developments
- Collect and analyse key data sets and produce 5-year forecasts, utilising CRU’s proprietary demand and supply models
- Develop and maintain relationships with key industry players and market contacts
- Produce high-quality content for the team’s portfolio of services
- Contribute regular Special Features on topical subjects as they arise
Customer Support & Sales
- Respond to ad-hoc client and internal requests for data and opinions in a timely and professional manner
- Participate in customer conference calls and briefings where appropriate
- Visit existing customers where appropriate, for example, we have a large client base in the US
- Attend and provide presentations at industry conferences where appropriate
What experience are we looking for?
- Aptitude for numeracy and demonstrated analytical skills
- Ability to understand the complex drivers of Aluminum demand, supply, costs and prices
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills
- Confident talking with market participants, and presenting alongside other Analysts at client meetings
- Fluent written and spoken English
- An analytical mind-set and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of data and databases that drive our business and strategy
- Creative in the application of first principles to problems and mindful of the time constraints of a business environment
- Approachable, with a positive and collaborative attitude and a genuine interest in delivering value to our clients
- Responsive to client needs, but still commercially minded
- Cognisant of the importance of sharing knowledge and ideas in a constructive and supportive way
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)