Research Analyst - Beijing or ShanghaiBeijing, China
Posted 27 July 2021
Please note – Candidates must have full right to work in China. For candidates applying to be based in the Shanghai office, you will be required to complete your first year working in the Beijing office, after that point the role can then be based full time in Shanghai
Are you a Masters Graduate? We are interested in hearing from Economics, Mining, Geology, Engineering, Mathematics and Sciences graduates.
If you are interested in starting your career with an international and diverse company - CRU could be the company for you.
We are CRU – a market leading independent authority on commodities markets. With offices in Beijing, Shanghai, London, Mumbai, Pittsburgh, Santiago, Singapore and Sydney, our Analysis and Consulting business units are always looking for talented and motivated individuals to join our teams.
CRU Consulting is the consultancy arm of CRU, and delivers bespoke projects to a wide selection of clients in the mining, metals, and fertilisers industries. Many of our projects are related to valuation and strategy decisions faced by our clients. We provide value to our clients through accurate data, insightful analysis, and timely delivery.
Our China Consulting team are looking to hire an ambitious and creative Research Analyst, with a strong quantitative background, and a robust approach to data and modelling. This role will be based in either Shanghai or Beijing, and will report into the Project Manager and will be responsible for supporting the execution of projects across CRU’s Consulting desks (Base metals, Fertilizers, Ferrous, High Value and Multi-commodity). These projects commonly relate to strategy development, informing market decisions, valuing asset or options, as well as policy related advice and impact analysis on behalf of clients, including miners and producers, investors/banks, industrial consumers, and supply chain entities, as well as policy makers and regulators.
As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
What will your responsibilities be?
This role will enable the Research Analyst to become familiar both with a range of commodity markets and the way Consulting execute and manage projects.
Responsibilities will include:
Research and modelling
- Carry out primary research across a range of product areas individually and in teams with minimal supervision, in particular the China market
- Maintain and develop a structured and organised approach to data collection, storage, and analysis
- Find, use, maintain and develop data, models, and methodologies that CRU use to produce transparent results for customers, identifying key trends and insights that are clear and meaningful. This includes:
- Working with senior consultants/analysts on developing and improving existing CRU models and forecasts
- Developing new models of commodity supply, demand, costs, and prices to develop original insights around structural market changers, novel/unresearched niches or geographies
Report writing and presentations
- Summarise CRU views in written reports and presentations.
- Develop original arguments and narratives that are clear, concise, and relevant to the client
- Prepare visually attractive presentations that are suitable for senior managers and executives storyboarding
- Work in highly collaborative international teams; sharing information, presenting, and testing ideas
- Interact with key persons in other APAC offices (Singapore and Sydney), and around the world
Customer Interaction, Business Development and Marketing
- Contribute to commercial proposals, marketing insights and presentations
- Excellent communicator that can rapidly understand client needs
- Visit mine/plant sites, client offices and attend conferences in China and around the world as required
- Work laterally across other departments in CRU Group to achieve commercial goals
About you - What skills are we looking for?
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm; able to operate efficiently, effectively, and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven business environment
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Fluency in a second Asian language would be advantageous
- An analytical mind-set and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive our business and strategy
- A deep curiosity in how things work, notably linkages between the primary industries/natural resources industries and the macroeconomy, finance, company strategy and government policy
- Strong commercial awareness
- Ability to discuss confidently with market participants and an inquisitive mind to obtain information that helps CRU Consulting provide a unique understanding to these markets
- Excellent team ethic and able to build strong interpersonal relationships
- Organised and be able to work to strict deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Aptitude to learn new systems; experience with statistical software (such as R, EViews, STATA or MATLAB) will be an advantage