Research Analyst - ConsultingSydney, Australia
Posted 26 November 2021
Please note – Candidates must have full right to work in Australia – We are unable to provide any level of Visa Sponsorship.
Our Consulting division are looking for a talented, highly motivated Graduate Research Analyst to join our Sydney office. This position will give you the opportunity to work across a broad range of projects for multinational, domestic and government clients. You will work with market experts across CRU’s global offices, and be involved in commodities from iron ore to battery metals and other minerals essential for the green transition.
You will be working with the consulting team to develop specialised consulting services to the mining, metals, and fertilizer industries. Our project work includes:
- Decarbonisation pathway scenarios for major global companies and financial institutions
- Consulting government on minerals strategy
- Advising clients on wide range of areas including market-entry, product valuation and marketing strategies
CRU Consulting is the consultancy arm of the CRU Group and delivers bespoke projects across a wide section of clients in the mining, metals, and energy industries. We provide value to our clients through accurate data, insightful analysis, and timely delivery. At CRU we work in a dynamic environment, alongside world experts and at an international level. There is a strong ethos around continuous learning and respecting good work-life balance, with many opportunities to grow your knowledge and network.
We welcome Graduates from a broad range of backgrounds and there is no single preferred major or field of study. However, we do look for people who have a strong academic background and a willingness to engage in new experiences and projects, as well as an interest in commodity markets. Candidates will use problem solving techniques to provide solutions through the effective communication of ideas to project team members and clients. This requires attention to detail, identification of trends, ability to look at the big picture and an interest in understanding key evolving issues surrounding commodity markets.
As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
- Carry out primary research across a range of product areas individually and in teams with minimal supervision
- Summarise and explain CRU’s views clearly in written reports and presentations
- Find, use, maintain and develop methodologies that CRU use to produce transparent results for customers, identifying key trends and insights that are clear and meaningful. This includes:
- Working with senior consultants/analysts on developing and improving existing CRU models and forecasts
- Developing new models of commodity supply, demand, costs, and prices to develop original insights around structural market changers, novel/unresearched niches or geographies
- Prepare visually attractive presentations that are suitable for senior managers and executives storyboarding
- Work in highly collaborative international teams; sharing information, presenting, and testing ideas
- Interact with CRU key persons in London and overseas offices
Customer Interaction, Market Awareness and Marketing
- Contribute to commercial proposals, marketing insights and presentations
- Keep informed on market developments
- Understand customer requirements and work with colleagues to meet those needs
- Take part in and contribute to customer/site visits and conference meetings as required, working with other team members and CRU Sales and Marketing team
About you - What skills are we looking for?
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm; able to operate efficiently, effectively, and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven business environment
- Undergraduate degree as minimum - While most of our applications are from fields such as Economics, Engineering, or Business, we will consider Graduates from a broad range of backgrounds
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Ability to combine quantitative methods with the humanities - that is transforming data and models into compelling stories and arguments that are relevant for their target audience
- A deep curiosity in how things work, notably linkages between the primary industries/natural resources industries and the macroeconomy, finance, company strategy and government policy
- A creative thinker based on a robust approach to data/modelling
- Ability to construct compelling narratives and arguments from data and models
- Excellent team ethic and able to build strong interpersonal relationships
- Organised and be able to work to strict deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Aptitude to learn new systems; experience with statistical software (such as R, EViews, STATA or MATLAB) will be an advantage