Research Analyst - Economics Singapore, Singapore
Posted 04 December 2020
Please note – We are only able to consider Applicants with full right to work in Singapore
As nations strive to meet climate agreements, green policies will become common place. Emissions are moving to forefront of government policy and corporate strategy. This means industries such as metals, mining and fertiliser must adapt to the energy transition to be well placed in the future.
We are looking to recruit a talented and motivated Research Analyst to join our Economics team in Singapore. In this role, your primary objective will be to work with the Senior Cost Analyst to collect data. You will then analyse and raise our understanding of changing sources of power, (e.g. coal and gas to renewables) across the commodity industry. This in turn will feed into CRU’s broader assessment of mining and metal production costs. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work on high profile Economic projects.
The Economics team’s brand is ‘Where macroeconomics meets commodities’, which means our focus is on linking developments in the wider economy to sectors and countries that matter to our clients in the global mining, metals and fertilizer industries.
CRU has a strong ethos around continuous learning and respecting good work-life balance, with many opportunities to grow your knowledge and network (e.g. via seminars and conferences). We offer self-directed development programmes, the opportunity to travel, secondments and a variety of career opportunities across functions.
This is an opportunity to work in a truly international company with offices in Beijing, London, Mumbai, Pittsburgh, Santiago, Sydney, and Shanghai. You will have the opportunity to conduct primary research across a range of different economies; learn how to write high quality and entertaining reports, and above all, help our clients navigate commodity markets. This role will provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team.
About you – What experience are we looking for?
- Master’s in Economics or similar subject
- Undergraduate degree with a minimum grade of 2:1
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Strong analytical mind-set and the ability to understand economic concepts and data
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- A basic understanding of the metals, mining, and energy markets
- An interest in climate change policies and the transition to renewable power
- A keen interest in applying economic thinking to ‘real world’ business challenges
- A strong quantitative background with creative problem solving
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm
- Able to operate efficiently and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Experience with statistical software (e.g. R, Stata or E-views)
- Ability to write a clear report that is supported by evidence, and communicate it to others confidently