Senior Analyst - AluminumPittsburgh, United States
Posted 13 November 2020
Our market-leading Analysis division is seeking a talented and motivated Senior Analyst to join our Aluminum Team in Pittsburgh. The Senior Analyst will be focussing on the Aluminum primary and products area; and will be responsible for primary research into the aluminum market, analysing price and supply-demand trends in primary aluminum, recycled aluminum, rolled products, extrusions and castings markets. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement and to grow their profile in the industry.
This role requires the ability to employ a range of techniques used to analyse medium and long-term commodity trends, as well as being comfortable working as part of a fast-paced, results driven team, that is committed to delivering high-quality research to our clients. The Analyst must have the ability to produce polished, high-quality written reports, and be comfortable and confident working with a range of clients.
Candidates need to have proven experience of working in a similar Analysis, or Research type role, and have a proven knowledge in analysing commodity markets, within the Metals/Mining or Energy sector. Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The Undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. The role will also require a level of international travel, so candidates need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
- Being part of a team producing a regular product portfolio of weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual publications
- Maintain and develop a structured approach to data collection, storage and analysis in the Aluminum sector
- Become very familiar with CRU’s research methodology, data systems, and forecasting methodologies. Competent use of CRU’s proprietary models in Excel
- Perform detailed analysis and interpretation of data and statistics to generate forecasts for Aluminum markets
- Maintain detailed capacity and production databases in the primary and mid-stream area, by undertaking internet research and communicating with producers and consumers to confirm data
- Compile high quality quantitative and qualitative reports, with both an eye to the short-term view, as well as the longer-term drivers of value, and assessing the implications for our clients
- Help CRU’s price discovery process by seeking to obtain premiums of ingot and key casthouse shape products in regional markets
- Help the Aluminum team forecast production and consumption across the value chain
- To present analysis in written form, graphically and verbally in both formal and informal settings
- To work closely with our customers and assist them in obtaining maximum value from our services
About you – What experience are we looking for?
- Proven analytical skills – With the ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers
- The ability to construct and articulate a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent attention to detail and the capability to work accurately with numbers and in the written form
- The ability to perform under pressure and deliver contributions to strict deadlines
- To be a team and company player and work flexibly with colleagues across businesses towards common goals
- Commercial awareness
- An inquisitive mind to obtain information that helps CRU provide a unique understanding of markets
- Additional language skills would be a bonus, although it is not essential