Senior Analyst - Base MetalsSydney, Australia
Posted 21 April 2021
Please note – Candidates must have full right to work in Australia, we are unable to provide any level of Visa sponsorship for this role
Our market-leading Base Metals team is looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated Senior Analyst to be based in our Sydney office. This key position requires an individual who can continue to develop CRU’s base metals presence in Australia (and APAC more widely), whilst building relationships with customers in the region, and to support and manage their information needs.
Reporting into the Head of Base Metals, the Senior Analyst will be responsible for providing detailed answers to customer enquiries on a range of subjects - Including concentrate markets, refined metal markets and mine costs. The individual will also play a key role in primary research and analysis across the Base Metal services.
We are looking for an Analyst that has a good understanding of the Metals and Mining industry, with the ability to quickly grasp the key technical and financial aspects of base metals mining and processing, whilst being able to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend one’s position clearly. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data management and modelling will be highly beneficial in this role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
Customer Intimacy and Awareness
- Develop relationships with existing and potential base metal clients in the APAC region, and form an up-to-the minute understanding of their information priorities
- Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on market developments
- Provide demos of our services to secure sales to new customers
- Develop strong relationships with existing customers to ensure a high renewal rate for Base Metal services
Knowledge, Data Analysis and Modelling
- Take responsibility for regional mine, smelter, and refinery production data - historical and forecast
- Collaborate with our partner company in India for the collection of production and cost data
- Collect and maintain information on projects
- Produce monthly assessments of TC/RCs
- Conduct bottom-up analysis of the cost structure of base metal mines, and perform top-down reconciliation of costs from information found in company financial and sustainability reports
- Produce analysis on developments in mine, smelter and refinery output, marginal costs, operational competitiveness, project evaluation, and the cost structure of the industry
Report Writing and Presentations
- Contribute to CRU’s suite of Base Metal Monitors and Market Outlooks
- Write high quality reports that are clear and engaging, and in keeping with CRU’s standards and formats
- Prepare high-impact presentations and dashboards summarising market and cost developments
- Write timely Insights and Special Features, covering developments in mines, projects, concentrate markets, industry costs and ESG themes
- Conduct and participate in customer meetings and speak at seminars and conferences
Training and Collaboration
- Take responsibility for training and mentoring junior staff
- Collaborate with team members and other CRU analysts and consultants for learning and sharing best practice
- Collaborate with the Sales and Marketing team to ensure high renewal rates and strong growth in new sales
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse gathered “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Commercial awareness: Conscious of the commercial aspects of the role, and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a group
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with market participants by telephone and email and presenting at client meetings. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint