Senior Analyst - Metallurgical Coal and CokeLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 18 October 2021
Please note – We will consider applications from candidates based in London, Sydney, or Singapore. For candidates based in Sydney and Singapore, you must have full right to work, we are unable to provide any level of Visa sponsorship in these locations
Our market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented and motivated Senior Analyst to head-up our analysis and forecasting of the Metallurgical Coal and Coke markets. You will become our face for Metallurgical Coal and Coke in the market, especially when interacting with Clients.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the Metallurgical Coal Market Outlook, Long-term Metallurgical Coal Market Outlook, Metallurgical Coal Dashboard, and contributing to the Steel Raw Materials Monitor. As the Senior Analyst, you will have the Analyst who is responsible for delivering Metallurgical Coke Market Outlook reporting into you. In addition, you will also be required to support other Coal and Coke analysis products, Steel and Steel Raw materials, and Consulting projects. For the right person, this position will deliver external client engagement, growth in industry profile, development of market analysis capabilities and provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters). Ideal disciplines are Economics, Mining, Geology, Engineering, Mathematics and Sciences. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
- Being the lead Analyst for metallurgical coal and coke including forecasts and analysis of demand, supply, balance, technical assumptions, trade, capacity, prices
- Editor of CRU’s quarterly Metallurgical Coal Market Outlook, including weekly Dashboard and monthly updates
- Editor of CRU’s quarterly Long-term Metallurgical Coal Market Outlook
- Contributor to CRU’s Steel Raw Materials Monitor
- Reviewer of CRU’s Metallurgical Coke Market Outlook
- Direct Line Manager of the Analyst – Coal & coke
- Maintain and develop strong metallurgical coal and coke client relationships, and confidently represent CRU at conferences and other client interactions
- Strive for continuous improvements and new ways to develop our metallurgical coal and coke analysis, data, and products
- Support and work collaboratively within the Coal, Costs and Ferroalloys team, Steel Analysis team, CRU Analysis and Consulting teams
- Work closely with sales and marketing to maximise sales of our analysis products
About you - What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Proven analytical skills - Ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers
- Extensive experience in mining and metals and/or energy
- The ability to construct and articulate a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal – Fluent English
- Excellent attention to detail
- An ability to individually work to strict deadlines and also to deliver products, which include contributions from several analysts to strict deadlines
- Commercial awareness, demonstrated by a keen awareness of the current performance of your product(s) and proven ability to spot an opportunity
- Excellent IT skills, including the use of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Statistical analysis, data analysis and modelling, forecasting experience