Senior Analyst - Steel CostsSydney, Australia
Posted 04 March 2021
Please note – We will consider Candidates that are based in London, Singapore, or Sydney. Candidates applying to be based in Sydney or Singapore need to have full right to work, we are unable to provide any Visa Sponsorship for either of these locations.
Our market-leading Steel team is recruiting for a talented, motivated and degree educated Senior Analyst to join our Costs Team. Specifically, the role will be focused on CRU’s leading Steel Cost and greenhouse gas emissions services, but there will be times that the Analyst will also have an involvement in the other Cost Services provided by the team.
Reporting into the Head of Costs for the Steel team, the successful candidate will also work with Analysts in the bulk raw materials and finished steel areas to ensure that the market view is consistent with underlying cost expectations. A key part of the role will be to maintain and develop further CRU’s increasingly high-profile greenhouse gas emissions modelling capability, and to use this to develop insights on the decarbonisation challenge facing the industry. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement, and to grow their profile in the industry.
We are looking for an Analyst with a knowledge of Steel or Mining Sectors, and proven analytical/model building skills and experience, including a familiarity with handling large data sets and an understanding of mathematical concepts. Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK, ideally Engineering, Geology, Metallurgy or Commerce/Economics. The role will also require a level of international travel (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring the on-time delivery of all aspects of the Steel Cost Service, to an exceptional standard
- Undertaking site visits and developing the network of contacts at steel mills around the world
- Collecting, maintaining, and incorporating key data relating to the operations of the steel mills included in the model/service
- Ensuring the accuracy of the model’s assumptions, including modelled greenhouse gas emissions
- Producing and maintaining the model in the appropriate business format
- Producing and maintaining the appropriate documentation to support the model/service
- Ensuring the continuous improvement of the Steel Cost Service, for example, by expanding coverage
- Providing training and coaching in the specifics of the model to both clients and CRU staff
- Demonstrating the capability of the model to prospective clients in support of the sales effort
- Contributing to other cost models/services provided by CRU’s Steel Team
- Working closely with other members of CRU’s Steel Team to ensure consistency, particularly relating to raw materials usage rates, production data and capacity data
- Working closely with other cost and emissions analysts and delivery teams across CRU, in order to ensure consistent approach to product development and delivery
- Providing updates of operating costs to analysts in the semi-finished and finished steel part of the business in order to assist them with price forecasting and to ensure consistency
- Collaborating with CRU Consulting and, on occasion, actively participating as a team member in the delivery of single client management consulting assignments related to steel costs
- Conducting client presentations and responding to questions arising from any deliverables (i.e. data, models, reports etc.) in a prompt and highly professional manner
- Giving presentations at industry conferences and in support of our sales and marketing activity
- Editing CRU’s quarterly Steel CO2 Dashboard
About you – What skills & experience are we looking for?
- First class data management skills
- Strong interest and knowledge of ESG aspects of mining and metals production and supply chains
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent attention to detail
- An ability to work individually to strict deadlines, and to deliver products that include contributions from several Analysts to strict deadlines
- Commercial awareness