Senior Analyst - SteelLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 21 April 2021
Our market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented, motivated, and degree-educated Senior Analyst to contribute to our market research and analysis in the semi-finished steel markets, crude steel production and metallics markets. As the Editor of CRU’s Crude Steel Market Outlook and Metallics Market Outlook, the individual will be responsible for integrating CRU’s finished steel research into a strong view of these markets, which then supports our view of demand for steelmaking raw materials. This role will also contribute to CRU’s iron ore market research.
Reporting into the Analysis Lead, this role demands a high level of analytical capability, attention to detail, and the ability to indirectly manage a team of analysts based around the world, and to be able to forge strong relationships with our customers and the market, through proactive networking and communication. The Senior Analyst must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team of price and market analysis specialists, working to tight deadlines and within the necessary compliance frameworks. This is a great opportunity for an individual to deliver exceptional external client engagement, develop a strong industry profile, and to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team.
We are looking for an Analyst that is a creative thinker, with a deep understanding of the Metals and Mining industry, and a rigorous approach to data/modelling. Having a strong quantitative background with the ability to express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing, will be highly beneficial in this role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Qualifications will ideally be in Economics or another numerate discipline. The role will also require a level of international travel (Pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the steel supply chain
- Manage the production process for the Crude Steel Market Outlook and Metallics Market Outlook, including indirectly leading a team of specialist analysts to deliver forecasts and content for these services
- Coordinate and lead engagement with customers of these services and more broadly for the steel team
- Coordinate and lead CRU’s long term steel forecasting process, including identification and integration of key drivers of long-term developments in the industry, such as the impact of decarbonisation
- Contribute to CRU’s Iron Ore Market Outlook service as both a contributor and supporting editor
- Create and communicate data driven analysis of market developments and issues, that are compelling, logical and cohesive
- Maintain key datasets for areas of specialisation to a high standard, ensuring these are integrated with wider supply chain data
- Understand, maintain, and use existing models and processes to deliver insightful analytical content
- Develop and maintain relationships with key customers and market participants in area of specialisation and across the wider steel value chain
- Proactively gather and appropriately share relevant knowledge and intelligence across the Steel team, and wider CRU business, using the extensive tools CRU has available for this
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong background in economics, maths, and/or engineering
- Ability to conduct primary and secondary research
- Appreciation of the importance of, and ability to maintain and develop, accurate, governed, datasets
- Ability to understand and maintain existing models and processes
- Strong understanding of supply/demand fundamentals analysis
- Ability to conduct robust price discovery and assessment
- Ability to build and maintain a network of market participants
- Ability to develop data driven analysis, and create cohesive and compelling written market analysis content for external audiences
- Ability to develop direct relationships with customers, handle customer queries and proactively provide support
- Appreciation of global working - Across different sites, time zones and cultures.
- An understanding of steel or metals production processes and supply chains
Skills & Competencies
- Proven analytical skills (ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers)
- The ability to construct and express a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to convincingly deliver and defend CRU’s view to external audiences in any setting
- Unrelenting attention to detail, and the ability to deploy this in error-free outputs
- An ability to work independently and deliver products to strict deadlines
Technical & Other Skills
- Steel and metallics pricing
- Quantitative analysis
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent written and spoken English. Capability in another language may be an advantage in this role