Senior Analyst - Value CreationLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 18 March 2021
Our market-leading Base Metals team is looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated Senior Analyst to join the team in our London office. The Senior Analyst will be the main editor and contributor to an exciting new service on Value Creation in the Copper Industry.
Reporting into the Head of Base Metals, the Senior Analyst will have responsibility for creating high quality content for the Value Creation service, whilst developing strong relationships with customers to ensure high renewal rates, and working alongside the Sales & Marketing Team to generate new business. The individual will also work closely with a member of the Base Metals Cost Team, who will provide support with data updates and forecasts.
We are looking for an Analyst that has a good understanding of the Metals and Mining industry, with the ability to quickly grasp the key technical and financial aspects of base metals mining and processing, whilst being able to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend one’s position clearly. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data management and modelling will be highly beneficial in this role. Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. The role will also require a level of international travel, so candidates need to be comfortable with this. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities will include:
Knowledge, Data Analysis & Modelling
- Review and critically assess estimates and forecasts of the data series that feed into our copper value creation model, and make changes in collaboration with the relevant Cost Analyst
- Maintain our copper value curves in the Cost Analysis Tool (CAT), and take responsibility for organising and updating the data series that form part of the customer deliverables
- Produce analysis of cash flows; capital expenditure; net present value; and value creation in the copper industry
Report Writing & Presentations
- Write high quality reports on value creation that are clear and engaging and in keeping with CRU’s standards and formats
- Write timely Special Features and Insights covering mine costs; cash flow themes; developments in capital expenditure; net present value; and corporate developments
- Prepare presentations for seminars, conferences, and customer meetings.
- Participate in customer meetings and conduct presentations
Customer Intimacy and Market Awareness
- Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on value creation and associated topics
- Develop relationships and maintain contact with copper producers, and other participants in the copper industry with an interest in value creation
- Visit mines to develop a strong understanding of the drivers of value creation
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse gathered “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Commercial awareness: Conscious of the commercial aspects of the role, and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a group
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with market participants by telephone and email and presenting at client meetings. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint