Senior Analyst - Zinc ConcentratesLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 21 April 2021
Our market-leading Base Metals team is looking for a talented, motivated and degree educated Senior Analyst to join the team in the unique role of leading CRU’s zinc concentrates work.
Reporting into the Head of Base Metals, the Senior Analyst will be responsible for creating high-quality, insightful analysis, whilst ensuring they are building and maintaining solid client relationships. The individual will also need to demonstrate commercial awareness, so they can assist in delivering strong growth in future revenue and profits for our portfolio of zinc services.
We are looking for an Analyst that has a good understanding of the Metals and Mining industry, with the ability to quickly grasp the key technical and financial aspects of base metals mining and processing, whilst being able to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend one’s position clearly. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data management and modelling will be highly beneficial in this role.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Responsibilities will include:
Knowledge, Data Analysis and Modelling
- Take responsibility of our ex-China mine production data, historical and forecast
- Collaborate with our partner company in India for the collection of production and cost data for zinc mines
- Collect and maintain information on ex-China zinc mine projects
- Take responsibility for the global view on zinc mine production
- Produce monthly assessments of zinc TC/RCs
- Conduct bottom-up analysis of the cost structure of zinc mines included in our database, and perform top-down reconciliation of costs from information found in company financial and sustainability reports
- Produce analysis on developments in marginal costs, operational competitiveness, project evaluation and the cost structure of the industry
Report Writing and Presentations
- Main editor of the monthly Lead/Zinc Concentrates Monitor
- Key contributor to Zinc Market Outlook
- Write high quality reports that are clear and engaging and in keeping with CRU’s standards and formats
- Prepare high-impact presentations and dashboards summarising market developments
- Write timely Insights and Special Features covering developments in the market for zinc concentrates; mine, project, and corporate developments; and industry cost and ESG themes
- Conduct and participate in customer meetings and speak at seminars and conferences
Customer Intimacy and Market Awareness
- Develop relationships with zinc producers, and other industry participants for knowledge sharing
- Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on zinc concentrates
- Provide demos of zinc concentrate work to secure sales to new customers
- Develop strong relationships with existing customers to ensure a high renewal rate for the Zinc Market Outlook and Lead/Zinc Concentrates Monitor
Training and Collaboration
- Take responsibility for training and mentoring junior staff, especially on zinc concentrates
- Collaborate with team members and other CRU analysts and consultants for learning and sharing best practice
- Collaborate with the Sales and Marketing team to ensure high renewal rates and strong growth in new sales
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse gathered “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Commercial awareness: Conscious of the commercial aspects of the role, and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a group
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with market participants by telephone and email and presenting at client meetings. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint