Senior China EconomistLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 14 February 2020
CRU are seeking a talented and motivated Senior China Economist, to provide thought leadership on China. In addition to producing and owning CRU’s view of China, as a senior team member you will play an important role in contributing to our global view as well.
Candidates need to have a Masters in Economics from a top tier university, alongside a Bachelors degree in Economics (minimum 2.1) from a top tier university (or equivalent level qualification from a university outside the UK). Proven economic excellence in analysing the Chinese Economy is crucial for the role, as is the ability to speak and write fluent Mandarin. The role will also involve global travel, specifically to Asia twice a year.
The Economics team is a small team of analysts who are responsible for producing a global forecast and story to support that view. The team’s brand is ‘Where Macroeconomics meets Commodities’, which means our focus is on linking developments in the wider economy to sectors and countries that matter to our clients in the global mining, metals and fertilizer industries.
We have a strong ethos around continuous learning, with many opportunities to grow your knowledge and network. This is an opportunity to work in a truly international company with offices in Beijing, London, Mumbai, Pittsburgh, Santiago, Shanghai, Singapore and Sydney. This role will provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide first rate analysis of China, drawing on data and models as required
- Provide commentary on key Chinese data releases and policy actions
- Review and produce a 5-year view for the key drivers of Chinese economic growth
- Communicate the story that supports your China view to internal and external clients
- Maintain a deep and current understanding of the economic, financial and political forces shaping China’s economy
- Maintain/update the long-term China forecast to 2050, which includes regional components
- Own and update our China end use model (construction, vehicles, etc)
- Coordinate the view on China costs with our Beijing/Shanghai offices
- Support the Economics team by helping to produce the global forecast, supporting junior members of the team as needed
- Write Special Feature (analytical pieces) on China, other economies and global issues to showcase our economic expertise
What experience are we looking for
- Proven economic excellence in analysing the Chinese Economy
- Ability to use, maintain, and develop the data and models required to produce short and long-term forecasts
- Ability to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend it
- First class communication skills, with fluent written and spoken English
- Proficiency in Excel, including chart creation and data organisation
- Be a flexible team player, covering other tasks and regions as required
- Proficiency with statistical software, such as R or E-view
- Experience using a macro model for forecasting (e.g. Oxford Economics)
- Experience working in a central bank, the public sector or an international organisation