Senior ConsultantLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 26 July 2021
Our Consulting division are looking for two talented, highly motivated Senior Consultants to join the London team. This position will provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team, and provide unrivalled exposure and experience working across industry, investment, and governmental players.
CRU Consulting is the consultancy arm of the CRU Group and delivers bespoke projects across a wide section of clients in the mining, metals, and energy industries. We provide value to our clients through accurate data, insightful analysis, and timely delivery. Working alongside industry experts, you will play a key role within our consulting division, providing in-depth and insightful knowledge on a wide range of exciting and often confidential global projects.
As a Senior Consultant you will oversee and deliver a variety of consulting projects, including in relation to our strategy, financing, public policy, legal or sustainability practices. Projects will vary dependant on your experience and the work we have at any one time. The ability to provide intellectual leadership, develop client relationships and develop and manage the delivery of high-quality intellectual property will be the keys to your success in this role.
Applicants should have solid proven experience as a consultant in the extractives sector or in a related commercial, investment, technical or governmental role. Candidates from industry, manufacturing or materials focussed backgrounds will also be considered. Being a first-class fluent English communicator, both written and verbal are essential. A second language (ideally Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, German, or French) would be highly advantageous.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Ideal disciplines are Maths, Economics, Engineering, Geology, Metallurgy, Public Policy, Sustainability or Material Science. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Reporting into a Principal Consultant, the Senior Consultant will have 3 key focus areas:
Your understanding of the metals, mining and energy markets will be significant, and your role within CRU Consulting will be pivotal as the company grows strongly in new markets:
- Insight – The candidate will have a strong background in qualitative and quantitative research, and will be a creative thinker based on a robust analytical approach
- Knowledge management and transfer – The candidate must be cognisant of the importance of sharing knowledge and ideas in a constructive and supportive way. A successful candidate is expected to leverage their own experiences and knowledge base across the global team and, for the senior consultancy role, mentor some of our more talented and creative juniors
- Thought leadership - The candidate will be faced with challenging questions from our clients. In some cases, this will be for work that falls adjacent or beyond the existing research in CRU. The candidate must be flexible and open to profitably developing new areas of research as the market requires
Business development and sales
- Develop successful client relationships - Promote CRUC consultancy services to a wide range of potential clients
- Leads - Using own leads, and leads provided by other CRU business units, identify, and develop project assignments. Contribute ideas for business development to the CRUC management team, and departmental marketing meetings
- Negotiation of project contracts – Providing clarity on scope, timescale, and value, to ensure that projects are delivered profitably, and to the complete satisfaction of the customer
- Present and follow up projects - Resolve any queries raised by the client
Project and Team Management
- Act as “Project Manager” in some projects - Outlining the strategy for conducting the research, securing adequate resource from within CRUC, and other CRU business units, and defining and communicating the objectives of the project to all involved
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Thought Leadership skills: A thought leader with respect to markets, policies, or technical aspect of commodities. Proven experience in the application of new thought to market, commercial, investment, sustainability, or public policy issues facing the mining, metals, and fertilizer chains
- Project management: The expertise to lead projects effectively, demonstrating strong communication, problem-solving and time management skills
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: An analytical and enquiring mind-set, and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive our business and strategy
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint