Senior ConsultantSingapore, Singapore
Posted 29 November 2021
Please note – Candidates must have full right to work in Singapore (Singapore Citizen or Singapore PR). We are unable to provide any level of Sponsorship.
Our Consulting division is looking for a talented and highly motivated Senior Consultant to join the Singapore office. This position will provide the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team, and provide unrivalled exposure and experience working across industry, investment, and governmental players.
CRU Consulting is the consultancy arm of CRU Group and delivers bespoke projects across a wide section of clients in the mining, metals, and energy industries. We provide value to our clients through accurate data, insightful analysis, and timely delivery. Working alongside industry experts, you will play a key role within our consulting division, providing in-depth and insightful knowledge on a wide range of exciting and often confidential global projects.
As a Senior Consultant you will oversee and deliver a variety of consulting projects, and diagnose simple client problems by designing and selling executable methodologies and solutions to those problems. Projects will vary dependant on your experience and the work we have at any one time. The ability to provide intellectual leadership, develop client relationships and develop and manage the delivery of high-quality intellectual property will be the keys to your success in this role. Applicants should have a deep curiosity in how things work, and the ability to think laterally across a variety of disciplines and issues such as Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Engineering, Sustainability, Finance, Strategy and Policy
Applicants should have solid proven experience as a Consultant. This includes experience within - Finance, Strategy Development, Disputes, Engineering, Geology, Consulting, Logistics, Sustainability, Economics and Market Intelligence. Being a first-class fluent English communicator, both written and verbal are essential. Fluency in a second Asian language would be highly advantageous, especially Japanese.
Applicants should be degree educated (Undergraduate as minimum) – Ideal disciplines are Maths, Economics, Engineering, Geology, Metallurgy, Public Policy, Sustainability or Material Science. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Reporting into the Head of Consulting for China and SE Asia, the Senior Consultant will have 3 key focus areas:
Your understanding of the Metals, Mining, Chemical, Fertilizer and/or Energy markets should be significant, and your role within CRU Consulting will be pivotal as the company grows strongly in new markets:
- Insight – The candidate will have a strong background in qualitative and quantitative research, and will be a creative thinker based on a robust analytical approach
- Knowledge management and transfer – The candidate must be cognisant of the importance of sharing knowledge and ideas in a constructive and supportive way. A successful candidate is expected to leverage their own experiences and knowledge base across the global team and, for the senior consultancy role, mentor some of our more talented and creative juniors
- Thought leadership - The candidate will be faced with challenging questions from our clients. In some cases, this will be for work that falls adjacent or beyond the existing research in CRU. The candidate must be flexible and open to profitably developing new areas of research as the market requires
Business development and sales
- Develop successful client relationships - Promote CRUC consultancy services to a wide range of potential clients
- Leads - Using own leads, and leads provided by other CRU business units, identify, and develop project assignments. Contribute ideas for business development to the CRUC management team, and departmental marketing meetings
- Negotiation of project contracts – Providing clarity on scope, timescale, and value, to ensure that projects are delivered profitably, and to the complete satisfaction of the customer. Assist senior members of the team with larger, more complex pitches and proposals
- Present and follow up projects - Resolve any queries raised by the client
Project and Team Management
- Act as “Project Manager” in some small projects and discrete project sections - Outlining the strategy for conducting the research, securing adequate resource from within CRUC, and other CRU business units, and defining and communicating the objectives of the project to all involved
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Thought Leadership skills: A thought leader with respect to markets, policies, or technical aspect of commodities
- Project management: The expertise to lead projects effectively, demonstrating strong communication, problem-solving and time management skills
- People management: Someone who can supervise and mentor junior members of the team on tasks such as data collection, research, analysis, and report writing
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: The ability to combine quantitative methods with the humanities - transforming data and models into compelling stories and arguments that are relevant for client needs
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint