Senior ConsultantSydney, Australia
Posted 14 March 2022
Our Consulting division are looking for a talented, highly motivated Consultant to join the team, to support in delivering insightful analysis of commodity markets. This position will provide you the opportunity to become part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team, and provide unrivalled exposure and experience working across multiple industries.
As a Senior Consultant you will oversee and deliver a variety of consulting projects, including in relation to our strategy, financing, public policy, legal or sustainability practices. Projects will vary dependant on your experience and the work we have at any one time. The ability to provide intellectual leadership, develop client relationships and develop and manage the delivery of high-quality intellectual property will be the keys to your success in this role.
CRU Consulting is the consultancy arm of the CRU Group and delivers bespoke projects across a wide section of clients in the mining, metals, and energy industries. We provide value to our clients through accurate data, insightful analysis, and timely delivery. Working alongside industry experts, you will play a key role within our consulting division, providing in-depth and insightful knowledge on a wide range of exciting and often confidential global projects.
You should be degree educated (Undergraduate, and ideally a Masters or Post Graduate degree). Ideal disciplines are Economics, Mining, Geology, Engineering, Mathematics and Sciences. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
We are open to receiving applications for candidates based in Sydney, Singapore, Shanghai or Beijing, however we are unable to provide visa sponsorship so you will need to have the right to work in the location you are applying.
Responsibilities will include:
- Carry out primary research across a range of product areas, taking functional leadership from the lead Consultant of those products
- Discover and develop own insights and model the implications for supply, demand, costs, and prices
- Work with senior consultants/analysts on developing and improving CRU models or investigating a particular project
- Find, use, maintain and develop data, models, and methodologies that CRU use to produce transparent results for customers, identifying key trends and insights that are clear and meaningful
- Maintain and develop a structured approach to data collection, storage, and analysis
- Understand and contribute to CRU’s research and forecast models and methodologies from complex commodity market data
Report Writing and Presentations
- Explain CRU views clearly and engagingly in written reports and presentations
- Make recommendations/ suggestions about style, formatting and content
- Work in highly collaborative international teams; sharing information, presenting and testing ideas
- Interact with key persons in the London and global offices
Customer Interaction, Market Awareness and Marketing
- Contribute to commercial proposals, marketing insights and presentations
- Keep informed on market developments
- Understand customer requirements and work with colleagues to meet those needs
- Take part in and contribute to customer/site visits and conference meetings as required, working with other team members and CRU Sales and Marketing team
About you - What skills & experience are we looking for?
- Thought Leadership skills: A thought leader with respect to markets, policies, or technical aspect of commodities. Proven experience in the application of new thought to market, commercial, investment, sustainability, or public policy issues facing the mining, metals, and fertilizer chains
- Project management: The expertise to lead projects effectively, demonstrating strong communication, problem-solving and time management skills
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: An analytical and enquiring mind-set, and able to get to grips quickly with the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive our business and strategy
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint