Steel Analyst - Beijing or ShanghaiBeijing, China
Posted 04 September 2019
CRU’s market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented and motivated individual to research and support the analysis of Chinese domestic steel and metallics markets. The job demands the highest level of analytical capability, attention to detail, with the ability to forge a strong network of contacts and understand and deliver client value. For the successful candidate the role will deliver external client engagement and provide the opportunity to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team.
Responsibilities will include primary and secondary market research, price discovery, market analysis and forecasting, database maintenance and development, direct customer contact and value provision.
Candidates need to be Degree-educated, ideally in economics or another numerate discipline.
The person will ideally be based in Beijing, however for the right candidate, Shanghai may also be considered.
Knowledge & Experience
Primary and secondary research
Supply/demand fundamentals analysis and forecasting
Steel or metals production processes, including relationship between finished and semi-finished elements of supply chain
Understanding of the makeup of steel-making or primary metals production costs
Creation of written market analysis content for external audiences
Direct customer contact, query handling and proactive support
International working across different sites and cultures
- Proven analytical skills (ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers). Quantitative analysis skills would be a distinct advantage
- The ability to construct and express a well reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to convincingly deliver and defend CRU’s view to external audiences in any setting
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-site international team: effectively communicating with team members and, critically coordinating and running publication processes within this setup
- Unrelenting attention to detail and the ability to deploy this in error-free outputs
- An ability to individually work to strict deadlines and also to deliver products to strict deadlines, showing leadership in this task
- Commercial awareness, demonstrated by a sound knowledge of the current performance of your product/s, along with an extensive contact list of key people within your market and proven ability to spot an opportunity
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Primary and secondary research
The jobholder will be responsible for research in a large, complex and opaque market. They must therefore have extensive research capabilities, have an enquiring mind, be able to assimilate large volumes of data and information, and be capable of drawing conclusions from often contradictory information from a wide variety of sources. In addition, the role requires ensuring the provision of credible and robust forecasts and data to internal and external customers.