Steel Analyst, USAPittsburgh, United States
Posted 31 January 2022
Our Market-leading Steel team is seeking a talented, motivated, and degree-educated Analyst, to undertake market research, analysis, and price discovery in the North American domestic steel, metallics, and bulk ferroalloy markets.
Reporting into the US Analysis Steel Lead, the Analyst will be responsible for creating high-quality, insightful industry analysis, whilst ensuring they are building and maintaining solid client relationships. The individual will also need to demonstrate commercial awareness, and will ideally understand steel, or metals production processes and supply chains.
This role demands a high level of analytical capability, attention to detail, the ability to accurately assess prices to defined specifications, and the ability to forge a strong network of contacts and understand and deliver client value. The Analyst must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team of market analysis and price specialists, to tight deadlines and within the necessary compliance framework. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement and will provide the opportunity to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive, and truly international team.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. Qualifications will ideally be in Economics or another numerate discipline. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities will include:
- Primary and secondary market research
- Collection, ordering and sharing of market intelligence
- Writing market updates
- Price discovery and assessment
- Market analysis and forecasting
- Database maintenance and development
- Direct customer contact
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Primary and secondary research
- Supply/demand fundamentals analysis
- Price discovery and assessment
- Steel or metals production processes, including relationship between finished and semi-finished elements of supply chain
- Understanding of makeup of steelmaking or primary metals production costs
- Creation of written market analysis content for external audiences
- Direct customer contact, query handling and proactive support
- The ability to construct and express a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- Price discovery
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse gathered “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends and drivers to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight. Quantitative analysis skills would be a distinct advantage
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Commercial awareness: Conscious of the commercial aspects of the role, and always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a group
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with market participants whether face to face, online, or over email. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of clients, contacts, and other external stakeholders, with the ability to build, maintain and grow an effective market intelligence network
- Communication skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint