Steel AnalystPittsburgh, United States
Posted 20 July 2020
Please note – Our preference is for this role to be based at our Pittsburgh office – However we would also consider candidates who would be remotely based in the USA, with the occasional visit to the Pittsburgh office
Our market-leading Steel Team is seeking a talented, motivated and degree-educated Analyst, to contribute to our market research, analysis, and price discovery in North American domestic steel, metallics and bulk ferroalloy markets.
This role demands the highest level of analytical capability, attention to detail, the ability to accurately assess prices to defined specifications, forge a strong network of contacts, and understand and deliver client value.
The jobholder must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team of price and market analysis specialists, to tight deadlines and within the necessary compliance framework. This is a great opportunity for an Analyst to deliver exceptional external client engagement, and will provide the opportunity to become an integral part of a dynamic, supportive and truly international team.
Candidates should have a Bachelor’s Degree, ideally in Economics, or another numerate discipline.
Responsibilities will include:
- Primary and secondary market research
- Collection, ordering and sharing of market intelligence
- Writing market updates
- Price discovery and assessment
- Market analysis and forecasting
- Database maintenance and development
- Direct client contact
About you – What are we looking for?
You must have extensive research capabilities, have an enquiring mind, be able to assimilate large volumes of data and information, and be capable of drawing conclusions from often contradictory information from a wide variety of sources. In addition, you must be able to both establish market prices and form definitive market views by well-informed, high-frequency and extensive contact with a wide range of relevant market contacts. Building up a strong network will be key to the success of this role.
Knowledge & Experience
- Primary and secondary research
- Supply/demand fundamentals analysis
- Price discovery and assessment
- Network building and maintenance
- Steel or metals production processes, including relationship between finished and semi-finished elements of supply chain
- Understanding of makeup of steelmaking or primary metals production costs
- Creation of written market analysis content for external audiences
- Direct client contact, query handling and proactive support
- International working across different sites and cultures
Skills & Competencies
- Proven analytical skills (ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers) Quantitative analysis skills would be a distinct advantage
- The ability to construct and express a well-reasoned and logical argument, evidenced by supporting data and with clearly articulated assumptions
- The ability to build, maintain and grow an effective market intelligence network
- Price discovery
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to convincingly deliver and defend CRU’s view to external audiences in any setting
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-site international team - effectively communicating with team members
- Unrelenting attention to detail and the ability to deploy this in error-free outputs
- An ability to individually work and deliver products to strict deadlines
- Commercial awareness, demonstrated by a sound knowledge of the current performance of your product/s, along with an extensive contact list of key people within your market and proven ability to spot an opportunity
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent in English – Both written and verbal
- Exceptional communication skills