Steel Prices AnalystLondon, United Kingdom
Posted 18 March 2021
Our market-leading Steel team is seeking a talented, motivated and degree educated Steel Prices Analyst. The role will be responsible for undertaking price discovery, which will be focussed on the EMEA Steel markets. Key elements of the role include price discovery, management and expansion of price assessment contacts and writing market updates.
The role demands the ability to maintain and grow a strong network of contacts, accurately assess prices to defined specifications, and contribute to the understanding and response to current and evolving market requirements for price benchmarks. The individual must be able to work effectively and collaboratively in an international team of price and market analysis specialists, to tight deadlines and within the necessary compliance framework.
Reporting into the Prices Editor, the Prices Analyst will be responsible for steel and other commodity price assessments. They must therefore be able to both establish market prices and form definitive market views by well-informed, high-frequency and extensive contact with a wide range of relevant price contacts, and other market participants. The Prices Analyst ideally will have a deep understanding of steel markets and related supply chains, industry, and competitive landscape, and be an excellent networker and communicator.
Candidates should be degree educated (Undergraduate as minimum, a Masters would be highly desirable) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), should be from a top British university, or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK. As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. For any candidates that are fluent in German, both written and verbal, this could be an advantage.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintenance and growth of network of price assessment contacts
- Price discovery and assessment
- Collection, ordering and sharing market intelligence
- Writing market updates
- Collecting information on market requirements for price benchmarks
About you – What experience are we looking for?
Knowledge & Experience
- Price discovery and assessment
- Network building and maintenance
- Commodity pricing mechanisms, ideally in steel and/or steelmaking raw material markets
- Market requirements for pricing benchmarks
- Structure and operation of commodity supply chains, industry, and competitive landscape
- Creation of written market analysis
- Customer value drivers and motivations
Skills & Competencies
- The ability to build, maintain and grow an effective market intelligence network
- Price discovery
- Market intelligence gathering
- Critical analysis of data trends and key drivers
- The ability to work effectively in a multi-site international team and communicate with team members
- Unrelenting attention to detail and the ability to deploy this in error-free outputs
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and within the necessary compliance framework
- First class communication skills, both written and verbal
- Resilience, persistence, and the determination to succeed
- To be a team and company player and work with colleagues towards common goals
Technical & Other Skills
- Commodity pricing mechanisms and systems - Ideally in steel and/or steelmaking raw material markets
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Fluent written and spoken German is not an essential, but would be desirable
- Primary and secondary research