Senior Analyst, Copper Costs
Posted 04 May 2022
Our market-leading Base Metals team is seeking a talented and motivated Senior Analyst to be responsible for copper costs.
You will have the ability to create high-quality, insightful analysis, coupled with the ability to build and maintain and grow strong client relationships. Key to the role is possessing a clear understanding of the market and being able to provide detailed answers to customer enquiries. You will also be heavily involved collecting, analysing and forecasting production, costs and emissions for copper mines. Accurate estimates and forecasts of operating costs by mine and project are required to facilitate in-depth analysis of global competitiveness; the cost structure of the copper industry; the impact of costs on prices; and developments in decarbonisation.
We are looking for an individual that has a good understanding of the wider industry, with the ability to quickly grasp the key technical and financial aspects desired, whilst being able to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend one’s position clearly. Having a strong quantitative background and being a creative thinker, based on a robust approach to data management and modelling will be highly beneficial in this role. Having a good understanding of the metals industry, and the ability to grasp the key technical aspects of copper mining and processing.
We are looking for candidates with a top degree from a leading university (Undergraduate and Masters) – The undergraduate degree (first or 2:1), or equivalent level qualification from a leading university outside of the UK in a relevant discipline. You must be able to work to strict deadlines and have excellent attention to details, as well as having excellent communication skills especially in both written and verbal.
As a global Company we work across multiple time zones, so a degree of flexibility will be needed. The role will also require a level of international and local travel (pandemic travel restrictions dependant), so candidates will need to be comfortable with this.
Other responsibilities will include: [from JD]
- Collect production, cost and emissions data for copper mines and projects.
- Collect and maintain information on development and sustaining capex for operating mines and projects.
- Collect and maintain information on mine and project ownership.
- Conduct bottom-up analysis of the cost structure of the copper mines included in our database and perform top-down reconciliation of costs from information found in company financial and sustainability
- Produce analysis on developments in short and long run marginal costs; operational competitiveness; project evaluation; the cost structure of the industry; asset valuation; and how costs influence metal prices at different stages in the economic cycle.
- Produce analysis on CO2 emissions from copper mines; trends in decarbonisation; and how ESG compliance will affect the copper industry.
- Respond to client and internal requests for data and opinions on copper costs and emissions.
- Develop relationships and maintain regular contact with copper producers and other important industry players.
- Lead and participate in customer meetings; conduct cost demos; and give customer presentations.
- Work closely with CRU’s Sales and Marketing teams, to support renewals and the generation of new business.
- Write high quality reports on mine costs that are clear and engaging and in keeping with CRU’s standards and formats.
- Prepare timely Special Features and Insights covering mine cost themes; corporate developments; site visit information; and emissions topics.
- Prepare presentations for seminars, webinars, conferences, and customer meetings.
- Assist the Head of Base Metals Costs with training and mentoring junior staff.
- Collaborate with team members and other CRU analysts and consultants for learning and sharing best practice.
About you – What skills and experience are we looking for?
- Team working: Someone who can take the initiative but also perform successfully as part of a team
- Commercial awareness: Strong appreciation of the commercial aspects of the role. Always seeking ways to maximise revenue/profit whilst generating the best value for clients
- Client & Market Interaction: Confidence in communicating with senior market leaders, whether that be over the phone, in Client meetings, or presenting at Conferences. Someone who will quickly gain the respect and trust of the clients
- Performance driven: The ability to demonstrate, on a consistent basis, that you can meet team objectives, targets, and deadlines
- Analytical skills: The ability to critically analyse “soft” and “hard” data. A person that can quickly identify key trends to generate perceptive conclusions and unique insight
- Numeracy: Familiarity with handling large data sets and understanding mathematical concepts and processes. Someone who can interpret, manipulate, and manage data
- Communication skills: Complete fluency (written and spoken) in English
- IT Skills: Excellent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and data management skills, as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint